Too Much Salt

Hansps

Hi,

I'm a part time FL resident. My neighbor uses my pool and just called me and said there are salt crystals all over the tile, skimmer, etc.. The pool girl happened to show up while the neighbor was there and said her salinity checker was broken. Any way, everything is gritty. I suppose someone added too much salt and now they'll have to drain some water and refill to get the salt concentration back down. Is there anything I should be aware of or tell the pool company?

Thanks,

Hans

I have a CompuPool chlorinator.

Since I'm only at my FL home occassionally I'm totally dependent on the pool service to do the right thing. What is the usual cause for calcium carbonate formation? If it's CaCO3 wouldn't my alkalinity by sky high? The pool was constructed in early June and I've only been there for 7 days since. This is my first pool and all of my knowledge is from you guys, so forgive my newbie questions.

Thanks,

Hans

Call your "pool girl" and tell her you were informed about what is happening, and to get a handle on it, or you will find another pool person. Then ask your neighbor to check up on her, to make sure she is following through with this (it's the least he can do since he is swimming in your pool).

Note: This (calcium build up) isn't something that just happens overnight.

Thanks,

This makes me livid. All I can do is trust their "expertise", give them a check, and hope for the best. I hate not being there to keep an eye on them. Heck, if I was there I'd do the up keep myself. Good thing I've got a neighbor who looks out for me. I'll be going down their on Saturday...... Will that give them enough time to correct the problem?

Thanks again,

Hans

Ask your neighbor to take a sample of your pool water to a nearby pool store to get the requested chemistry information.

Calcium carbonate scale happens when your Calcite Saturation Index gets way too high. The CSI depends on pH, Carbonate Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness and temperature. You can use the Pool Calculator to calculate your CSI.

This can also happen if someone adds Calcium Chloride (Calcium Hardness increaser) and Sodium Carbonate (pH increaser) without waiting long enough between additions. The calcium combines with the carbonate and you get a precipitation reaction. Therefore, your CSI might actually show to be in range.

Salt chlorinators tend to cause the pH to increase.

If this is new plaster, then that would also tend to increase the pH. New plaster is especially susceptible to scaling as it cures. It gives off plaster dust, which needs to be properly managed.

High water temperature also increases the CSI. Unless you have something to cool the water, the water temperature should be in the upper 80s to low 90s.

Your pool person has probably begun to add lots of acid in an attempt to correct the situation. Therefore, your pH and alkalinity will probably show either low or good.

Is the pool concrete, fiberglass or vinyl liner?

I'll be going down their on Saturday...... Will that give them enough time to correct the problem?

Based on their performance so far, I'm not sure I would trust them to be able to correct this. Your plaster and equipment are at risk for permanent damage if this is not handled correctly. It's likely that some permanent damage has already occurred.

It's likely that some permanent damage has already occurred.

Ouch!!! What kind of damage? I'm about to blow a gasket. The pool company was recommended and had a good Better Business Bureau rating. I'm afraid if I fire them I may get another bad pool company. I wonder if I'm better off just paying my neighbor to take care of the pool. He has some prior experience with pools (but not salt water) and can take weekly water samples to the pool store for analysis.

Fuming in Wisconsin,

Hans

If you have a heater, then it is probably scaled inside the heat exchanger. The salt cell is probably also scaled and should be removed, checked and cleaned if necessary.

New plaster needs to be handled correctly or it can be damaged. Plaster that is not properly handled can end up scaled, weakened and/or discolored.

Plaster dust calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 can form calcium carbonate (Also referred to as Plaster dust) and/or calcium silicate on the plaster's surface. The longer the problem is left untreated, the harder it will be to repair, if it can be repaired at all.

http://www.npconline.net/StartUp.pdf

http://www.magic-technologies.com/pdf/remedies.pdf

http://www.npconline.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=3691&orgId=npc

http://www.npconline.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=42282&orgId=npc

http://www.npconline.org/mc/directory/viewSaveSearch.do?searchId=75652