Desperate Pool Noob - Tearing Liner!

lordx

Hello all.. I am a new pool owner, and I am experiencing a pool liner issue.. A pretty serious one I think.

The pool liner is starting to tear away from the pool wall on two opposite diagonal corners. The tear is slowly getting bigger, and I assume that this MUST get fixed now before I am totally screwed!

I am including pictures of the tear to see if anyone can help... the tears are above the water line.

PS - I have a contraption in my garage that was left from the previous home owner. It looks like something to cover the pool? How exactly would I use this, and what would I need to buy?

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

pool6.jpg

That isn't fixable. Budget for a new liner and replace this fall. Not cheap - but one upside to vinyl-lined pools is that you basically have a new pool after installing a new liner. Make sure to replace all of the "white goods" too - main drain covers, returns, skimmer basket(s) and skimmer faceplate(s). You'll be good to go for several years. If you want to minimize cost, do it yourself (you'll find plenty of DIY info here and elsewhere on the internet). Else, call a few local pool stores, and ask each rep who comes out what their position is. If it's not the owner, they will probably be interested in supervising "on the side" (e.g. on their own time instead of their employer's time) while you provide some people to assist. Many will also discount the costs if you pay in cash (if your budget allows). We pay contractors cash whenever possible.

For a quick fix you could throw a batch at the termination point of the tear to stop further tearing. But yes, that liner is past it's prime. They stopped making that pattern about 12 years ago :)

Good Luck,

Jeff