Ugly White Wormy Flakes In Hot Tub- Help?

JOEY_G

Hey everyone!

I bought a house this year and it came with a Caldera Spa. I think it may be an Olympic. I don't what the old owners used for chemicals. The spa has an ozonator, and otherwize looks original. It also has a cracked pump housing, and had the unions to the heater loose. I have fixed the issues (save the motor housing), and I ran the tub after filling it with water. TONS of huge worm-flake shaped chunks came out of the jets. They are soft and somewhat rubbery, like way overcooked pasta. They are white and tan in color, and can be close to an inch long. they are not more than .25 inches wide, and are pretty thin. My best guess is that this is a growth from the lining of every piece of plumbing in the tub, and I have just released it from a long slumber (this stuff is suspended in moving water BTW, but 98% of it sinks when in stagnant water). This house was uninhabited for a year or more, and the tub was drained from when I first saw it. When I say drained, I mean there was less than 40 gallons in it. There was nothing out of the ordinary in the water left in the spa when we bought the house. Just a few leaves, worms, slugs, a small amount of suspended dark dirt and 2 frogs.

We installed a new filter and siphoned as much of the white crap out as possible. Our plan was to run Baquaspa chemicals despite the mixed reviews. There are mild chemical odor sensativity issues with my partner, which is the only thing keeping us away from Bromine.

Please tell me what these huge flakey things are if you can! And if they will plague me until I attack the source somehow...

Thanks!

It kind of sounds like silicone sealant, which is sometimes used to seal threads and fittings.

In fact, based on your description, I am about 95 % sure that that's what it is.

Well the previous owner's did a lot of things they should have never done. I don't doubt that they put a few tubes of silicone somewhere.

the owner may have not put the silicone in, some manufactures use it, some use glue...you have to attach the plumbing and jets. It may be coming out due to bad water chemistry, thay being said, you may have leaks in the future.

I would do the decontamination procedure...and also use a plumbing cleaner such as swirl away. Be aware that with baqa, you may get white gooeys. I would look into nature 2, you can keep a very low chlorine (.5) and it has very little smell.