Diy Inground

Erbowman

I am highly considering doing a DIY inground pool from a kit. Anyone have experience doing this?

I have some concerns about my lot and how concrete would be delivered.

First of all, I have a sloping lot that also plunges slightly where I want to put the pool. Its not a bad slope but it is definately there. I think it would be fine once the backhoe driver cleared out the dirt and be carful when pouring the concrete.

Next concern is the only way to get a truck to the area is to come down my concrete driveway. What is the probability it will destroy the drive? Its my only option since my septic tank and fill lines are on the other side of my yard. Is there any other way to get that much concrete from the road to be poured???

Any help would be appreciated or advice on DIY pools

I am highly considering doing a DIY inground pool from a kit. Anyone have experience doing this?

I have some concerns about my lot and how concrete would be delivered.

First of all, I have a sloping lot that also plunges slightly where I want to put the pool. Its not a bad slope but it is definately there. I think it would be fine once the backhoe driver cleared out the dirt and be carful when pouring the concrete.

Next concern is the only way to get a truck to the area is to come down my concrete driveway. What is the probability it will destroy the drive? Its my only option since my septic tank and fill lines are on the other side of my yard. Is there any other way to get that much concrete from the road to be poured???

Any help would be appreciated or advice on DIY pools

first off when you set grade that determines the height of your pool levl it will probable be neccesary to change the grade of your yard.your concrete concern could be fixed by using a skid loader to take the concrete back to the pool .you will have to get concrete twice once for the pool footer then for the deckmake sure you use a transit when you excavate and when you level the pool walls you want to be somewhere around a 1/4"and 1/2"everwhere and make sure you square the pool properly to the specs yhey will give you if not the pool liner will not fit properly. in my opinion do not use sand for your pool bottom use v16 vermicalate and also duct tape all your seams and use wall foamto extend the life of your liner and i would use 1 1/2"spa flex for your plumbing that will eliminate a lot of glue joints that could leak latter

hope this helps you brian

There is a great article on trying to build your own vinyl liner pool from a kit - written by a pool installer for people like yourself. Its at http://www.buypool.ca/diy_swimming_pool.html

They also have one on installing a DIY vinyl liner which is about 30 pages long. Great info if you are thinking about going the cheap route and having a go at it yourself. Good Luck! Its a big job but possible for a determined and skilled person.

thanks for info

A few words of advice and caution. I live in Middle Tennessee also. I installed my own pool 5 years ago. I bought the pool from a local dealer and picked it up off Powell Ave at the locale pool wholesale distributor "SCP". I was lucky and have a good friend that is experienced at pool excavation and I am an electrician. I hired out the plumbing, finishing the bottom, and placing the liner. I would NOT recommend this for a novice or someone that was trying to save money. In Tennessee we have soil that can be rocky and require using a RAM HOE "machine driven jack hammer". I didn't have that problem but we ran into a problem where the ground at the bottom of my pool was spongy so we had to add and compact fill rock to make it sturdy enough to support the installation. Thank goodness we did considering the floods we had this spring. I am not sure if your run of the mill pool builder would have gone to this trouble and an inexperienced person wouldn't have considered it a problem. I could go on and on but my point is. You have complicated excavation, plumbing, electrical, and finish work. If you make a mistake in any of the these it is big $'s after the fact. This isn't like finishing out a bonus room in your house this is a HUGE undertaking. We worked on my pool every afternoon and weekend from Memorial day to filling it with water 2 days before the 4th of July. I saved about 7k off the sticker price I would have paid. It is a BIG job. Be careful and understand if you make a mistake it could cause huge delays and more money than you can imagine. Also you have a minimum of a 30 day skid steer rental if you want to do it right. With my 7k savings I invested in a used Bobcat skid steer for the work and I still own it today. Good Luck!! I also have a Microsoft Project Plan I put together for building a pool. Send me your email address and I can send it to you.

A few words of advice and caution. I live in Middle Tennessee also. I installed my own pool 5 years ago. I bought the pool from a local dealer and picked it up off Powell Ave at the locale pool wholesale distributor "SCP". I was lucky and have a good friend that is experienced at pool excavation and I am an electrician. I hired out the plumbing, finishing the bottom, and placing the liner. I would NOT recommend this for a novice or someone that was trying to save money. In Tennessee we have soil that can be rocky and require using a RAM HOE "machine driven jack hammer". I didn't have that problem but we ran into a problem where the ground at the bottom of my pool was spongy so we had to add and compact fill rock to make it sturdy enough to support the installation. Thank goodness we did considering the floods we had this spring. I am not sure if your run of the mill pool builder would have gone to this trouble and an inexperienced person wouldn't have considered it a problem. I could go on and on but my point is. You have complicated excavation, plumbing, electrical, and finish work. If you make a mistake in any of the these it is big $'s after the fact. This isn't like finishing out a bonus room in your house this is a HUGE undertaking. We worked on my pool every afternoon and weekend from Memorial day to filling it with water 2 days before the 4th of July. I saved about 7k off the sticker price I would have paid. It is a BIG job. Be careful and understand if you make a mistake it could cause huge delays and more money than you can imagine. Also you have a minimum of a 30 day skid steer rental if you want to do it right. With my 7k savings I invested in a used Bobcat skid steer for the work and I still own it today. Good Luck!! I also have a Microsoft Project Plan I put together for building a pool. Send me your email address and I can send it to you.

pm sent