How Does One Keep Ducks Out Of Their Pool?

Took my kids down to swim after dinner (a ritual most nights of the season) and found 5 ducks in the pool. I yelled and waved my arms but they didn't even seem to notice. They took off when I turned the hose on them.

I know ducks have been in the pool a few other times, as I've found the same "deposits" on the pool bottom in the past (not as many as tonight, however).

If I see them again, I intend to fire a barrage of bottle rockets just over the pool. I'm guessing that is about the only thing that will make a lasting impression - doubt an inflatable in the shape of a crocodile, etc. will phase them for long. I should have done that tonight!

Any experience? Anyone?

lol- a shotgun?

That is a problem- they are persistant. Even if you cover the pool they will sit on the cover and make a mess of that. I have heard of some people getting a motion sensor that attaches to the hose and sprays water when activated. Or, try an owl decoy or something similar sitting on the corner of the house or shed that can be easily seen by them.

Thanks to both of you. I did find those standing sprinklers, equipped w/ a motion sensor that actuates a valve. At least a couple returned today but less of a mess. I wish I'd thought to throw some firecrackers onto the deck and launched a couple of bottle rockets toward the ducks as they flew away to make an impression. If I see them again I'll do that, but to keep them out while I'm away I'll probably ahve to resort to one of those sprinklers (google shopping searched "motion sensor sprinklers").