Stain On Vinyl Pool

heegs24

Hi All,

I have a 16x32 inground vinyl pool that has a stain all around the sides that will not scrub off? The color is a yellowish brown and starts about 10 inches down from the coping and continues till it reaches the bottom of the pool in the shallow ends and the start of the slope in the deep end. So there are no stains on the bottom at all. It is a perfect line all the way around the pool.

Went to the pool store and balanced out the pool and they gave my a powder to rub on the sides to determine if it was a metal issue. That did not work so the pool store told me to scrub the sides once per day and it would lighten up and disappear over time. I've tried that and it has not resolved the problem.

Has anybody run into this problem before and do you have suggestions? I have tried to take pictures but the pictures do not show the stain at all.

Hi Heegs24, I think you need a professional pool maintenance regarding with your problem but if you have time You may also decide on an acid wash not because of swamp conditions, but just to bring out a brighter, whiter finish. Mineral stains and/or deposits, chlorine stains, even dirt stains...an acid wash is always a dramatic aesthetic improvement. :)

Hi Heegs24, I think you need a professional pool maintenance regarding with your problem but if you have time You may also decide on an acid wash not because of swamp conditions, but just to bring out a brighter, whiter finish. Mineral stains and/or deposits, chlorine stains, even dirt stains...an acid wash is always a dramatic aesthetic improvement. :)

The OP stated that this is a VINYL pool!!! VInyl pools are NOT acid washed, doing so will ruin the liner! For someone who's profile states that they build pools you are scaring me! Even if you do not do liner pools I would think you would have some knowledge of them since they are so common.

one last try to see if anybody may know what this stain may be?

Its possible it may be mustard algae, a real pain to get rid of. you can try a jacks magic product for mustard algae.

Also did your pool get a lot of leaves in it for a period of time? If so the tannins from the leaves love to stain vinyl liners.