Is Larger More Efficient

ursulal

Hi am am a newbie researching tubs. iterested in hot springs aria but can buy a grandee for nearly the same money. I felt that the aria at 365 gallons would be much less costly to maintain,chemicals, electricity etc,compared to 500 gallon grandee. however dealer stated that there would not be a noticeable difference as more water volume dissapates contaminants quicker, and easier , and overall the grandee would be much better value. Any input will be appreciated. thank you.

Hi am am a newbie researching tubs. iterested in hot springs aria but can buy a grandee for nearly the same money. I felt that the aria at 365 gallons would be much less costly to maintain,chemicals, electricity etc,compared to 500 gallon grandee. however dealer stated that there would not be a noticeable difference as more water volume dissapates contaminants quicker, and easier , and overall the grandee would be much better value. Any input will be appreciated. thank you.

Even though it is bigger and holds about a third more water I would not expect the Grandee to cost much more to operate, like maybe +10%/month. Whichever you get is yours for the next decade+ so get whichever of the two you think is truly best for you based on which fits you best (layout, jets, features, depth, lounge vs no lounge, etc.), what size you need (does the extra Grandee size matter or is there just two of you going in anyway?) and which seems like the better value but I don't think cost to operate is much of a factor in this case.

Spatech is right, the Grandee won't cost much more to operate if any at all.

IMO the Grandee is a lot more spa for the money compared to the Aria.

If you like the lounger also look at the Envoy or Vista.

I just think the Aria is overpriced for a 4 person spa.

As spatech said get the one that's the most comfortable for you - HotSpring is a great spa.

From our experience (both feedback from customers, and using electric power meters) you aren't going to see much difference in electrical cost between the Grandee and Aria. It will take longer to heat the 500 gallons in the Grandee than the 365 gallons in the Aria. But, by the same scientific principals it'll take longer for the Grandee to cool off than the Aria due to that same difference in water capacity. So it's sort of a wash.

Sit in them both and decide which gives you what you want for your money. :)

After we decided on the Hot Spring, we liked both the Vanguard and the Grandee. Finally chose the Grandee as it wasn't much more money for the larger tub. Sure glad that we did as having 2 moto-massage seats is great! We've had our tub for 6 weeks and couldn't be happier. We thought that a lounger took up too much room and you can lounge in the Grandee using 2 seats - not the lounger contour but it works.

so which one are you leaning towards?

have not yet had a chance to wet test the grandee but hope to soon also testing a sundance optima. i do like the aria, but just feel if i can get a much larger tub at no extra expense why not.

I concur that the energy costs between the Aria and the Grandee will not be dramatically different. Both are nice tubs!

so which one are you leaning towards?

have not yet had a chance to wet test the grandee but hope to soon also testing a sundance optima. i do like the aria, but just feel if i can get a much larger tub at no extra expense why not.

Both Hot Springs and Sundance make an excellent tub. As you already know, the wet test should be the determining factor. If possible, try to wet test both the Hot Springs tubs and the Sundance Optima in the same day. If you give each tub a thorough wet test, you will have a better sense comparison than if you wet test different tubs on different days (or several days apart). As has been mentioned, I don't think the operating costs will be significantly different between the smaller Aria and the larger Grandee or Optima.

Regarding the smaller tub v. the larger tub.... it seems, generally speaking, people who initially purchase a smaller tub because 1) they are not exactly sure that they want a larger tub, 2) they believe the smaller tub will be significantly cheaper to operate and maintain, and 3) the larger tub is typically significantly more expensive, frequently end up mildly regretting they initially purchased the smaller tub. Mildly regretting because they love their tub...but they find out only too late that: a) the tub's advertised occupancy capacity reflects the maximum number of occupants...not necessarily the maximum number of occupants COMFORTABLY using the tub at one time (which is always much less than the maximum number advertised), B) the difference in operating and maintenance costs are not as significantly different as they imagined, and c) they entertain in the tub more than they anticipated but are limited by the tub's size. Their next tub is usually larger than the first. So, if space considerations are not limiting the size of the tub you can purchase and if you like the different sized tubs about equally, my recommendation would be to go with the larger tub. The wet test should be your number one determining factor. Keep in mind (if you follow the usual pattern), you are going to keep whatever tub you purchase for quite a while before you upgrade or change to a different tub. So it's important that you choose a tub that feels right for you (and/or anyone else who will be using the tub regularly).

If you choose either the Hot Springs or the Sundance manufacturers, I think you can feel comfortable knowing that you purchased a quality hot tub from a respectable manufacture that has a history of producing a well made product that should provide you with years of enjoyable soaking and hydrotherapy.

BTW, for purposes of full disclosure...I checked out both Hot Springs Grandee and Sundance Optima (amongst other similar sized tubs from other manufacturers). For a variety of reasons important to me, I chose the Sundance Optima. To each his own.

Good luck in your search and happy tubbing.

gman