Summer Pool Temps

I live in a Florida condo that has a pool that is heated in the Winter and the equipment can cool water in Summer. The Association's Board has elected not to activate the cooling system, claiming it is too costly and the water temps reach over 90 degrees during the days. I am a lap swimmer and am concerned with the health aspects of exercising in water this warm. I am also concerned about the homeowners potential liability should someone have a stroke or other health problems while swimming in this warm water when the problem is avoidable through use of the present pool equipment. Can anyone address my fears?

Have you expressed your concerns to the HOA just like you have here? Use of the word "liability" usually will get attention. They will probably reply with: Are you willing to pay more HOA fees for the cooling? Or it may back fire on you and they will close the pool on hot days. To bad you don't have solar heating, a trick is to run the solar at night, and cool the pool that way.

A stroke? That's going to be hard to sell! If the water is below body temperature, then it won't cause the body to heat, in fact 1 degree cooler will cool the body. Sounds like a personal hidden agenda. But... Listen to pool clown! They may close the pool on "hot" days, probably a set pool temp. As far as danger in swimming in warm water??? As long as it is properly balanced, there should be no concern! Your arguement should be that you paid dues when they were chilling the pool... They can either continue to chill the pool or lower your dues!

A stroke? That's going to be hard to sell! If the water is below body temperature, then it won't cause the body to heat, in fact 1 degree cooler will cool the body. Sounds like a personal hidden agenda. But... Listen to pool clown! They may close the pool on "hot" days, probably a set pool temp. As far as danger in swimming in warm water??? As long as it is properly balanced, there should be no concern! Your arguement should be that you paid dues when they were chilling the pool... They can either continue to chill the pool or lower your dues!

Plausible, if the body can maintain a safe internal temperature range while the exodermal temperature varies with the environment (equilibrium) but what happens when that body is being exercised (e.g., during swimming)? During vigorous exercise that 1 degree differential may not be sufficient to wick away the additional heat. Though I haven't tried swimming in a 97 degree Farenheit reservoir it doesn't sound pleasant. For non-runners, jogging in 97 degree heat can lead to heat exhaustion.

Is there a physiologist in the house?

Plausible, if the body can maintain a safe internal temperature range while the exodermal temperature varies with the environment (equilibrium) but what happens when that body is being exercised (e.g., during swimming)? During vigorous exercise that 1 degree differential may not be sufficient to wick away the additional heat. Though I haven't tried swimming in a 97 degree Farenheit reservoir it doesn't sound pleasant. For non-runners, jogging in 97 degree heat can lead to heat exhaustion.

Is there a physiologist in the house?

You're correct. FINA says that the water temp in competition pools must be 25-28 C (77-82 F). Swimming is an aerobic form of exercise. Also, a 90+ F pool is not at all refreshing during hot weather (and FL summers are awfully hot). I've been using my poor man's pool chiller the past day and a half and lowered the water temp from 89 F to 83 F. Much better!