Which Way Should The Strainer Staw Be?

Gavin

Hi I have a Hayward pump that has a straw in it. I guess to cut down on the bubble problem these strainers have. Just not sure what way up it should be?

Could you post a picture? I've never heard of a pump straw... don't suppose you mean the filter's air relief tube?

Hi I have a Hayward pump that has a straw in it. I guess to cut down on the bubble problem these strainers have. Just not sure what way up it should be?

Could you post a picture? I've never heard of a pump straw... don't suppose you mean the filter's air relief tube?

I'll have to take apic but yeah there is a straw in the pump strainer basket. just a straw that attaches to the outside of the basket and is cut at an angle at one end and flat at the other. there is writting on it saying this side out but I don't know how the straw should be installed with the angle cut at the top or bottom and how far should the straw be up from the basket.

The angle cut goes up. The straw is to eliminate an air bubble in the strainer cover.

Interesting. Is this an aftermarket product? When I surveyed a selection of Hayward IG pumps none of them had any sort of mechanism to remove or reduce air bubbles -- my Tristar pump, included. Once the pump is primed, the air bubbles disperse.