Pristine Blue Please Help!

Hello all. I have a 33' above ground pool that is full of algae. I was told to drain it because it would be cheaper and faster than shock. I did all but about the last 5 to 6 inches. Then I was told I shouldn't have drained it, but just shocked the mess out of it. Too late.

I got most of the floating algae out but there is some still on the bottom, along with 5 to 6 inches of water. Would it be ok to start filling it up with water since I got most algae out? Help! This is my first pool, and such a mess thus far.

Also, I was told that I shouldn't have drained it b/c the sun will shrink the liner without the water in it. I'm trying to clean and de-algae as quickly as possible. Any suggestions, recommendations, advice is greatly appreciated!

Use a net, perhaps with cloth over it (T-shirt, skimmer socks, etc.) to scoop out what you can from the water on the bottom quickly. Start refilling the pool right away to prevent damage. As the water is filling up, add some Dichlor to get some CYA as well as chlorine into the water (but not too much), but do so carefully (use a small amount appropriate for the smaller water volume) and mix it with the water using a brush. I'd add no more than 20 ppm FC cumulatively (the chlorine will get used up quickly with the algae) and then switch to chlorinating liquid or bleach until the pool fills up at which point you can retest after circulating and then add more CYA as needed. Read Defeating Algae.

Do not use Pristine Blue which is copper ions. Though these can prevent algae growth (though obviously not in your case), they can also cause water to turn green or to stain pool surfaces if the concentration gets too high or the pH gets too high. Use chlorine alone to prevent algae growth. Please get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 with the latter kit having more volume of reagents so is comparably priced per test.

If you are asking about the two test kits, you can compare them here. They are both good kits and I have both of them. The TF-100 is packaged more intelligently with more volume of reagents that you would use more often. I personally like the pH test in the K-2006 better, but appreciate the larger volume of reagents for CYA and chlorine tests in the TF-100. So it's hard to say, but you won't go wrong either way.