2 Problems After Opening Our 1-Year Old Pool.

Hi folks - I have 2 problems that I am working through post-opening that I was hoping you could help me with.

I had a local pool company open our pool last week.

It's a 1 year old (installed July 2009) 11k gal. Gibraltar above-ground with a Hayward sand filter.

Once the initial murkiness turned to cloudy blue (about 4 hours), we noticed a lot of white sediment on the bottom of the pool floor along with a significant amount of what looks like sand.

I asked the company if the white stuff might have been the opening chemicals they used and they replied "no", more likely that it is dead algae.

Is that a likely possibility?

Also, in researching the sand part, I have learned that a "bad lateral" could be to blame.

Is it normal for a lateral to break after only 3 months of use (July 09 - October 09)?

The company that opened the pool this year is the same who closed it last October. Could they have damaged a lateral when closing and moving into my garage?

Or could there be other reasons for the sand in the pool floor?

I have vacuumed (3 times) and we have about 75% of the white stuff up. It brings the filter pressure from 10 to 20 pretty quickly, so it's a work-in-progress.

While vacuuming, the return comes out a little white, but there does not seem to be a noticeable return of white debris to the pool floor. I assume its breaking up and circulating through the filter.

After running the filter overnight, the gauge went from 10 to 20 by morning.

Any advice for a knowledge-less pool boy?

Thanks in advance folks. Bob

Dead algae is one possiblity. It sounds like your filter is working.... the increase in pressure from 10 to 20. Have you backwashed yet? I don't know the frequency of filter problems but you can also open to inspect the laterals.