Inground Spa Has Calcium Buildup Which Needs To Be Removed.

I had been away and when I returned my spa was in bad shape. Green, dirty, etc. I have managed to remove most of the green and brown but now am left with calcium around the water level mark. I guess there is no easy way to remove this. Had hoped so, but will need something stronger. My hands do not have much strength due to arthritis and am hoping someone has an easier way to remove this calcium. I have been thinking about using the pumice stone I use for my toilets. But this even will take weeks as I can't do this longer than a few minutes at a time. My spa is quite old and is a gel coated spa.

I had been away and when I returned my spa was in bad shape. Green, dirty, etc. I have managed to remove most of the green and brown but now am left with calcium around the water level mark. I guess there is no easy way to remove this. Had hoped so, but will need something stronger. My hands do not have much strength due to arthritis and am hoping someone has an easier way to remove this calcium. I have been thinking about using the pumice stone I use for my toilets. But this even will take weeks as I can't do this longer than a few minutes at a time. My spa is quite old and is a gel coated spa.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a pumice stone (or "Magic Eraser") to remove calcium buildup on my in-ground pool's perimeter tile but with a fiberglass surface spa I'd be more cautious. If there's serious buildup you could do a little bit at a time but shouldn't just grind away if there's a chance that the stone may scratch the surface. At that point, perhaps a dilute solution using muriatic acid poured into a pail of water and a plastic bristle brush would be wiser. If you use muriatic acid, avoid inhaling the fumes. I ran my above ground spa for many years without the kind of build-up you speak of. Are you sure it's calcium? Stains from algae or leaves should lift over time with higher-than-normal chlorine levels.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a pumice stone (or "Magic Eraser") to remove calcium buildup on my in-ground pool's perimeter tile but with a fiberglass surface spa I'd be more cautious. If there's serious buildup you could do a little bit at a time but shouldn't just grind away if there's a chance that the stone may scratch the surface. At that point, perhaps a dilute solution using muriatic acid poured into a pail of water and a plastic bristle brush would be wiser. If you use muriatic acid, avoid inhaling the fumes. I ran my above ground spa for many years without the kind of build-up you speak of. Are you sure it's calcium? Stains from algae or leaves should lift over time with higher-than-normal chlorine levels.

Magin Eraser works great! I use it on my tub around the tiles=)

Are you sure it's calcium? Stains from algae or leaves should lift over time with higher-than-normal chlorine levels.

AZDesertGal would need to confirm but typically Arizona does have spectacularly high CH water. Scaling is a common problem in that area.

--paulr