I'm Itchy - Wife And Daughter Are Fine

GO ZAGS

I know there are other posts about being "itchy" but every case is different. We just got our tub on Feb. 1st and I was completely and totally fine the first 8 weeks or so. Then I developed a rash under my arms, on my biceps, legs, abdomen and back. They are tiny bumps and itch badly. Lotion does help. I know it's the tub because when I lay off for 3 days or so - the rash goes away. Then it comes roaring back when I take a soak. My doctor said it could be allergies? Even though I was fine the first two months I asked my doc. He said it's possible. I can't think of any chemical that I added around that time that would have caused the itch. Any thoughts?

I know there are other posts about being "itchy" but every case is different. We just got our tub on Feb. 1st and I was completely and totally fine the first 8 weeks or so. Then I developed a rash under my arms, on my biceps, legs, abdomen and back. They are tiny bumps and itch badly. Lotion does help. I know it's the tub because when I lay off for 3 days or so - the rash goes away. Then it comes roaring back when I take a soak. My doctor said it could be allergies? Even though I was fine the first two months I asked my doc. He said it's possible. I can't think of any chemical that I added around that time that would have caused the itch. Any thoughts?

Chem Geek (one of the chemistry types in this forum) had a post that compared the characteristics of chemical vs. bacterial skin reactions. Unfortunately, the link in that doesn't work any more. (CHEM GEEK - do you have working link for the comparison table?).

Anyway ... here are my thoughts/suggestions:

1. Because of the sudden onset after using your tub, it's most likely a chemical reaction. I assume the rash also goes away quickly if you don't get into the tub for a day or two?

2. Hot water can make a skin problem very itchy. Have you ever had a poison oak/ivy rash and then taken a hot shower? The hot water really makes it itch. I assume that you are not getting itchy if you just take a hot shower.

3. What's your pH? Water that is very acidic or basic can cause skin irritation. Your pH (for skin purposes) should be between 7.2 and 7.8.

4. What chemicals are you using in your tub? MPS can cause a rash. Triclor (tablets/pucks) can increase the acidity over time.

5. If you can't seem to solve the problem, I would do a decontamination and then see if a fresh refill solves your problem.

Good luck,

- Simon

OK - maybe it is the MPS - I did start using Leisure Time's Renew a while after I got my tub so perhaps it's that. I am on a Bromine system and just bought a jug of bleach to use as a shock instead of buying more Renew. I can use bleach with Bromine as an effective shock, yes?

The link to a Google cache of the rashes page is here. I don't know why the APSP pulled down this page -- probably only to show them to APSP members.

The link to a Google cache of the rashes page is here. I don't know why the APSP pulled down this page -- probably only to show them to APSP members.

Chem Geek -

Thanks for giving us a working link to this information. This topic comes up a lot and I think the information in the article is very useful.

- Simon

How long until the MPS dissipates? Or do I have to drain and refill?

I don't know for certain, but I would guess a couple of days. I say this because MPS shows up as CC on a chlorine test when you first add it, but that goes away after a while.

On the other hand... being monoperSulfate, it's conceivable that if you have been using MPS all along, then the Sulfates have been building up and that's the source of the itch. If that's the case, then stopping the use of MPS won't help you with the current water, you'd have to dump and refill. NOTE: This is complete speculation on my part, I have no idea whether sulfates can cause rashes. But, say you stop using MPS for a couple weeks, and the rash still doesn't clear up; try refilling, and if the itch doesn't come back, you can reasonably blame it on sulfates (or some other byproduct of MPS).

--paulr

Thank you for your replies Paul - went in the tub last night after not using Renew for several days and I'm itchy again. Does anyone else know if it could be the sulfates?

I think your best bet is to drain the tub, do a decontamination, and refill with fresh water. If you don't itch with the fresh water, you know it has something to do with the chemicals in your water. If it turns out to be chemicals in your water, I would use the diclor then bleach method. Don't use MPS ... you don't need it. You can get rid of CCs by shocking with chlorine bleach. The rule of thumb to get rid of CCs is to shock with 10X the CC level ... i.e. ... if your CCs are 2ppm you need to shock with at least 20ppm chlorine.

Let us know how you resolve the "itch problem".

Good luck,

- Simon