Skimmer Line/jet Problem

I need some advice and help here, please.

A couple of days ago while preparing to open the pool I started the vacuuming process. I had it set on vacuum to 'waste' and then backwashed a couple of times.

Here's where I encountered my frustrating problem. When I set the handle back on filter and filled the basket with water so that I could prime and get the jets started, the water level in the basket dropped. As I tried to prime the pump to get the jets going nothing happened. Usually you'll see the water start to circulate and the jets start to kick into gear.

I repeated this step several time, each time having no luck.

However,I did check the 'O' ring and noticed that it isn't exactly in mint condition - there is some wear and it does look a little deformed in places. Is it possible that when I seal the basket it isn't airtight and that's what causes the water to drop as soon as I turn on the pump.

We did just have the impeller replaced last year so I wouldn't think that causes the problem.

One other thing...we also have a handle connected to the basket that is for the main drain along with the one for the skimmer line. Should both of those be open when the jets are running and also when vacuuming? I believe that the main drain was off while doing this so hope that hasn't caused the problem.

Sorry for the not so technical terms, but I tried to explain a best I can - very frustrate here :angry: