Vemiculite Or Cement Bottom

nhpool

Grout bottom pools are the most popular in North America and this is your standard mortar mix. When installed well it is very strong and resistant to wear from water migration and shifting. If a grout bottom pool is not installed well the rough finish will wear on the back of the liner like sandpaper over time as the liner shifts under different water conditions. This would decrease the expected lifetime of the liner.

A vermiculite bottom pool when installed correctly is very confortable and will increase the heat loss efficiency of the pool dramatically. Grout has almost no insulation value where vermiculite is an excellent insulator. The verminulite floor will likely cost a little more to install and a grout bottom pool would be just fine also but with rising maintenance costs for pools I would personally receommed to take every step you can to help create a pool that operates with minimimal ongoing costs.

I hope you find this information helpful.

S.

My experience with vermiculite was the rocky soil worked up towards the top and punctured the liner twice in the first year. It was finally trashed when the vacuum sucked a hole in the liner the next year when opening the pool. It was sold to me for $4,000 and installed by Pool and Spa Depot Middle Tennessee. "Never Again"

I currently own a 5 year old in ground 18x36 vinyl liner pool. I purchased the complete kit and did the install outside of the plumbing, finishing the bottom "with mortar mix", and placing the liner. That work was contracted to a pool installation company.

When installed "properly" a layer of vermiculite concrete about one inch thick is applied over a rough floated mortar that is installed on the pool floor during the pouring of the concrete collar at the base of the walls. This would prevent any rocks from making their way up through the much softer vermiculite. Essentially it is the best of both worlds for the strength of the concrete and the protection and insualtion value of the vermiculite.

I hope this information is helpful.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

When installed "properly" a layer of vermiculite concrete about one inch thick is applied over a rough floated mortar that is installed on the pool floor during the pouring of the concrete collar at the base of the walls. This would prevent any rocks from making their way up through the much softer vermiculite. Essentially it is the best of both worlds for the strength of the concrete and the protection and insualtion value of the vermiculite.

I hope this information is helpful.

S.

Thanks for the advice looks like concrete with vermiculate (pool-base)

Pool base is the correct material. Vermiculite as found in gardening stores is similar but not as fine as pool base. Pool base is also packaged and sold as xonolite which is a fine vermiculite blended with bonding agents. The bags are sold in 4 cubic foot which you would mix 2 bags to one bag of portland cement (88lbs) for a reliable and easy to trowel lightweight concrete. Mixing pool base can be tough and overmixing will reduce the yield dramatically. A paddle style mortar mixer works best and batch only for 2 minutes or so one you add the pool base. Just some additional information...

Cheers.

S