How Noisy Are The Pump And The Heater?

We just got our quote back from the electrician for running electrical wire to the back of our yard and :blink: well, it's a little high. We have another option, keeping everything close to the house but that would mean putting the pump and heater etc. under our bedroom window. Can anyone give me an idea of how loud they are. We will be running a 100,000 btu Hayward heater and a 1.5 hp pump.

Do not let anyone put a pool heater by your bedroom or any other window due to the potential for Carbon Monoxide to enter your house. By law it must be 4 feet away per the National Gas Code and local codes may be more. As far as noise, you should be running your filter during the daytime hours anyway. Also, cosider that the further you put your equipment away from the pool, the less water flow you'll have due to the resistance to flow you create by adding more plumbing, thus requiring you to run the filter longer to "turn over" the pool water. You may be better off shopping around for another electrician. You'll probably find a better deal. They are starving too!

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify, it's close but it's definately more than four feet. I'd say about 10. Also this configuration puts the pump and heater closer to the pool than our original plan, so I guess that's a plus. Just worried about the noise. We got a salt water generator and I think it runs all the time . . .

The pump and heater should be "relatively" quiet. Compare it to your a/c compressor running, perhaps a bit louder than that. The pump will be louder than the heater, as heaters don't make much noise. If you have brick walls surrounding the equipment, it can bounce the sound around and make it sound louder. Installing a fence or screen between the pump and your window will reflect a lot of the noise in a different direction.

It's all a matter of tolerance. My neighbor runs his pump 24/7 and I won't open my windows because of the noise, although it's not loud at all. I just like total quiet.

Question for you. Do you need to run the pump 24/7? I run mine ten hours a day and am told that that is long.

Running elec wire underground is all about digging an 18 inch trench. If you can do it yourself you can save some dollars.