Pool Pump Leaking

I have a Jacuzzi Magnum Force pool pump that is leaking from behind the ring that mounts the motor to the rest of the pump (don't know the term.) I took the ring off (it's about 7 inch diameter) and there does not appear to be a gasket/seal behind the ring.

Is there supposed to be?

I have read on the web that it may be the shaft seal o-ring that's leaking. If that's the case, should I take the motor to a pool supply house and have them change it out?

Pictures have been posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/demi9393/4612109001/in/set-72157624073112084/

Thanks in advance.

It's often hard to tell which is leaking without replacing one, then the other. There is a gasket that seals the two halves of the pump, underneath the lock ring you show. You will need to clean all the grit/debris from the sealing area to ensure a good seal. If replacing this gasket does not do the trick, go ahead & take the pump to your pool store & they can replace the shaft seal, as well as inspecting all other components while they have it apart.

The shaft seal is different than an o-ring. An oring would burn up because the shaft is spinning and the pump case is not. Instead there is a disk with a flat face that attaches to the shaft. There is another disk that pushes into the pump case. The faces run against eachother and are so flat that they prevent leakage between them. They are pretty easy to change if youve already got the motor off. They just push in and have an oring to hold them in place.