Fine Particulate Or Dust In Pool

Hello pool geeks, I had an algae problem when I opened my pool last year, a rip in the cover allowed debris in. After your assist in getting it clear and maintaining my FC, I battled not very clear water last year. Numbers were good just not crisp clear water. Everytime I vacuumed the fine dust just came back into the pool. Looks as it goes right through the filter. When I opened the pool this week it looks as the same dust is sitting on the bottom of the pool. Water was pretty clear (somewhat distored with fine yellow dust on the bottom) I vacuumed and the water turned milky, the dust is coming back into the water. I will go buy another filter for my Hayward but the one I'm using is only on its 2nd year. I tried a flocking last year too, but not much change. Do you have any more suggestions?! I hope! Thanks for your time.

Well, I'm gonna guess that it's not sand. If it IS sand, then change your sand. Probably nothing broken or you would see sand in the pool rather than "dust."

For the other two types of filters, check your cartridges thoroughly for any tears in the fabric, or a torn or missing venturi screen. Either of these problems will allow dirt or DE back into the pool.

Well, I'm gonna guess that it's not sand. If it IS sand, then change your sand. Probably nothing broken or you would see sand in the pool rather than "dust."

For the other two types of filters, check your cartridges thoroughly for any tears in the fabric, or a torn or missing venturi screen. Either of these problems will allow dirt or DE back into the pool.

The filter is cartridge. I checked my manuel, I was unable to find the venturi screen. Is it part of the pump?

The filter is cartridge. I checked my manuel, I was unable to find the venturi screen. Is it part of the pump?

Can you tell me where to find the venturi filter please.

Do you have the model #? Or series name? Here is the manual for a Super Star Clear filter. Part #13 is the one that I am referring to when I say venturi screen. If you haven't already, be sure and check all of the cartridges and all internal parts of the filter for cracks or breaks. Sometimes they are really hard to find.

http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manuals/pdfs/manual11.pdf

Hello pool geeks, I had an algae problem when I opened my pool last year, a rip in the cover allowed debris in. After your assist in getting it clear and maintaining my FC, I battled not very clear water last year. Numbers were good just not crisp clear water. Everytime I vacuumed the fine dust just came back into the pool. Looks as it goes right through the filter. When I opened the pool this week it looks as the same dust is sitting on the bottom of the pool. Water was pretty clear (somewhat distored with fine yellow dust on the bottom) I vacuumed and the water turned milky, the dust is coming back into the water. I will go buy another filter for my Hayward but the one I'm using is only on its 2nd year. I tried a flocking last year too, but not much change. Do you have any more suggestions?! I hope! Thanks for your time.

Do you have an ABOVE-GROUND pool? (If so, wrong forum but that's OK -- just want to identify the equipment.)

I wonder if this is pollen...members from this and other forums have been reporting unexplained particles on the floor of their pool that appear soon after vacuuming. You might want to try netting the pool surface more often, vacuuming more often, adjusting the skimmer to take at least 75% suction (if there are other suction ports, that is), placing a skimmer sock in skimmer basket(s) to catch debris.

Inspect and clean the filter frequently, especially after vacuuming. If there is a pressure gauge at the filter, take readings before and after vacuuming. If the filter doesn't seem to be doing its job, it may be time for to replace the cartridge media. Or it could be gunked up with the chemicals used during spring cleaning. Check out the linked threads below for some really good procedural tips on best way to clean. If cleaning is not effectual, buy a new one.

http://www.poolforum...read.php?t=7299

http://www.troublefr...lter-t4465.html

Other thoughts: What does the water look like (clear, blue, sparkly... dull, listless, a bit cloudy)? Has the water been tested recently? What is the current level of Free Chlorine and CYA (cyanuric acid aka stablizer)?

I'm not sure what the venturi screen (aka "air tube screen") is supposed to accomplish in these filters. It may interest you to know that Hayward's newer cartridge filters seem to have dispensed with the venturi screen altogether. I don't know the reason for this change.

Last week, when I discovered that the screen, fitted at the top of the air tube, on my Hayward SwimClear C4025 was broken (the mesh was torn off) I ordered a replacement. Formerly know as the Air Relief Tube and Air Tube Screen CX4000Z3, it's now called the Air Relief Tube Assembly CX4000Z3 (but commonly identified as part #11) and is just a hollow plastic tube -- no venturi screen! This prompted me to research newer SwimClear models. All of the models I looked at had the tube, sans screen.

Since you've tried everything else, I'm thinking that the fine "dust" is actually a mustard algae. Mustard algae will often appear to be dust or sand in the bottom of the pool. You can brush it up and it poofs up into a cloud and disappears only to come back a few hours later or the next day. Are you able to maintain a good chlorine residual? I would try treating for mustard algae and see how things go. Make sure your pH is 7.4-7.6, hit it with a double shock in the evening and an hour later brush the pool really well and pour in 1 qt. of Banish (copper metallic algicide from Bioguard) per 25K gallons. Keep your chlorine a little higher for the next few days. If you have any pool equipment that has been exposed (vacuum hose, pole, net, etc.) put that in the shallow end of the pool when you treat. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I got some good clarifier from my service guy, called SeaKlear. Every time I have some cloudiness, I shock the pool and add this clarifier, then run the pump for 24 hours and it is usually crystal clear by morning. Amazing stuff. Regarding the pool manual, try www.poolschoolpro.com they have a DVD that took all the "mystery" out of my pool. It was much easier than reading a book, and my pool company actually uses it to train their technicians! Good luck!