Broken Eyeball Returns In Pool

Both of my eyeball returns have broken off. They are the push in type, but only the outer threads & ring have snapped off. The neck is suck inside the wall. They're pretty brittle (I was just trying to adjust one when it snapped off), but I can't figure out how to get the remains out so I can put the new ones in. It's as if they've glued together.

Help?

Both of my eyeball returns have broken off. They are the push in type, but only the outer threads & ring have snapped off. The neck is suck inside the wall. They're pretty brittle (I was just trying to adjust one when it snapped off), but I can't figure out how to get the remains out so I can put the new ones in. It's as if they've glued together.

Help?

You don't say who makes them and there are different types. Mine, and I'm not sure who makes them either, are made of two seperate parts. One piece has male pipe threads and screws inside the female pipe fitting. The eyeball then goes in, followed by an outer ring that screws on to the first piece. To remove the inner part, you need a plastic key that is made for that purpose. It looks like a thick credit card, only smaller and slides into two groves in the eyeball fitting. You then use pliers or an adjustable wrench to turn the key and remove. See if you have two grooves in the part of the eyeball that is still attached.

Also, if there is any part # on the piece you do have, just putting that # into google may reveal info, like a datasheet that shows what it is that you have.

You don't say who makes them and there are different types. Mine, and I'm not sure who makes them either, are made of two seperate parts. One piece has male pipe threads and screws inside the female pipe fitting. The eyeball then goes in, followed by an outer ring that screws on to the first piece. To remove the inner part, you need a plastic key that is made for that purpose. It looks like a thick credit card, only smaller and slides into two groves in the eyeball fitting. You then use pliers or an adjustable wrench to turn the key and remove. See if you have two grooves in the part of the eyeball that is still attached.

Also, if there is any part # on the piece you do have, just putting that # into google may reveal info, like a datasheet that shows what it is that you have.

No part number or mfr is indicated on the old eyeball. It looks very similar to this www.allpoolsolutions.com.au/Pool-Accessories...

There are no slits to speak of and I'm pretty sure it's just a insider slip version. The whole section that sticks out -- ring, eyeball, threads -- snapped off. The "slip" part is left in the wall (I can feel the end of it with my fingers).

I got a hayward SP1421E to replace one: http://www.1800poolparts.com/Hayward~Directional~Flow~Insider~Inlet~Fitting~1~Opening_152_11375~product.html

which would push in the pipe just fine if I could get the remains of the old one out.

Maybe there's a PVC pipe tool for such a thing when smaller pipes are snapped off into bigger ones? And there's nothing left on the outside to grab hold of? I know I have a smaller tool for that happens to my sprinkler system, just wondering if pool professionals have something for this kind of situation in the pools. I can't be the first!

No part number or mfr is indicated on the old eyeball. It looks very similar to this www.allpoolsolutions.com.au/Pool-Accessories...

There are no slits to speak of and I'm pretty sure it's just a insider slip version. The whole section that sticks out -- ring, eyeball, threads -- snapped off. The "slip" part is left in the wall (I can feel the end of it with my fingers).

I got a hayward SP1421E to replace one: http://www.1800poolparts.com/Hayward~Directional~Flow~Insider~Inlet~Fitting~1~Opening_152_11375~product.html

which would push in the pipe just fine if I could get the remains of the old one out.

Maybe there's a PVC pipe tool for such a thing when smaller pipes are snapped off into bigger ones? And there's nothing left on the outside to grab hold of? I know I have a smaller tool for that happens to my sprinkler system, just wondering if pool professionals have something for this kind of situation in the pools. I can't be the first!

I was able to chip one out with a screwdriver and hammer. But the new one isn't quite big enough to stay in. So now I'm not sure what to do.

I thought the purpose of eyeballs was to improve circulation and decrease dead spots in the pool. I was also gonna try a solarpill, which says jets need to be pointed away from the surface, hence my fiddling.

• 4 weeks later...

You definitely want the eyeball fittings to be IN and pointed toward the bottom of the pool. Not having them in, or having them pointed at the surface allows the sun's UV rays to very quickly degrade the chlorine, therefore costing you un-necessary money. be extremely careful with the hammer/screwdriver as you can puncture through the flange and cause a leak in the pool (just plastic). To repair this, you will have to dig out a trench from your garden/yard all the way under the deck to re-plumb a new flange which is very costly and time consuming. Generally, Pentair and PROtech makes eyeball fittings and can be found by contacting our service department.

I was able to chip one out with a screwdriver and hammer. But the new one isn't quite big enough to stay in. So now I'm not sure what to do.

I thought the purpose of eyeballs was to improve circulation and decrease dead spots in the pool. I was also gonna try a solarpill, which says jets need to be pointed away from the surface, hence my fiddling.

It sounds like you have the pound in eyeballs. if the female part of the eyeball is left in the return outlet all you need is a hacksaw blade (18T) and a screwdriver (thin flat head)if it is not glued which they never should be. Cut the remaining female part lengthways (you will be cutting with the blade parallel with the inlet. It takes a little time but be patient and make sure you stop when the blade gets down to the actual inlet. If you go too far and put a small groove in that inlet don't sweat it, better that then cracking the inlet (which isn't a HUGE problem)when performing the next couple of steps. Make two groves about 1/4" apart, then take the screwdriver and pry out that small 1/4" piece, then the rest should come out quite easily.