New Guy With Pool Problem

Let me first of say that any help at this point would greatly be appreciated. I have called two pool company to come out and investigate with no luck thus far. The pool sweeper completely stop working all of a sudden. If I disconect the sweeper from the side wall of the pool there is very low pressure coming out. I have back wash several times, change pump with all new rotating parts. WHat else should I do to get this thing running?

Let me first of say that any help at this point would greatly be appreciated. I have called two pool company to come out and investigate with no luck thus far. The pool sweeper completely stop working all of a sudden. If I disconect the sweeper from the side wall of the pool there is very low pressure coming out. I have back wash several times, change pump with all new rotating parts. WHat else should I do to get this thing running?

A few questions:

What brand/model of sweeper? Is it run off a booster pump or is the sweeper fed only by the main circulation pump? How long does it run before stopping and what do you do to restart it? What is the pressure at your filter (PSI)? What did the pool company's service techs say about this?

What brand/model of sweeper? Is it run off a booster pump or is the sweeper fed only by the main circulation pump? How long does it run before stopping and what do you do to restart it? What is the pressure at your filter (PSI)? What did the pool company's service techs say about this?

Polaris, runs off a booster pump. When the tech was here they played around with it and it ran for about 10 minutes and stopped both times. One tech comment was "I dont know what to tell you" The PSI at the filter is approx 20PSI now but drops after I backwash. Right now with the booster pump running the sweeper just sits in one spot.

Polaris, runs off a booster pump. When the tech was here they played around with it and it ran for about 10 minutes and stopped both times. One tech comment was "I dont know what to tell you" The PSI at the filter is approx 20PSI now but drops after I backwash. Right now with the booster pump running the sweeper just sits in one spot.

Probably a Polaris 280 or 380, then. I have the 280 model. They're finicky about pressure -- you may have to install (or uninstall) the red or blue reducer at the pool wall fitting. There are instructions about how to check for wheel revolutions at the beginning of the manual (see pages 3-5)

http://i.poolproduct.../Polaris280.pdf

Be sure both main filter pump and booster pump are operating. Beyond this, there are lots of little things that can affect performance. The wheel revolutions should tell you if the pressure is right but check to be sure all of the wheels (3) are turning together. If the front axel is too loose there's slippage; too tight, it won't turn. Check the jet stream that comes out the rear. Adjust the direction of the jet so that it's at about 11:00 O'Clock -- subtle changes to the direction will make a big difference.

disconnect from the side wall? do you mean twist the wall fitting out (about a 1/4 turn and pull). I'd put a $100 bill on that you don't have a wall screen!!! This item is not an accessory. Then some junk got by your filter and now it's lodged in your polaris internal plumbing! Don't panic, if you can change a light bulb you can fix this problem. Oh and pick up some wheel bearings. 6, 2 for each wheel, and 2 turbine bearings, might as well replace these while you're in there. You'll need a air compressor, with a blower thingy, with a long flexible (copper) tip. Take off the tail, the float (white float on polaris), the bag and the phillips head screw holding the top to the body. When replacing those wheel bearings be gentle with the plastic screws that hold the wheel on!!! They are brittle, and don't overtighten. once disassembled you'll see what needs to blown out with your air compressor, get your wife to help you need more hands and fingers than you have to plug other holes. open the turbine housing and make sure he's good. Those wheels on your polaris are all the same. If some of your grooves that the axel uses to turn the wheel are wore out then replace it with the 3rd wheel that doesn't use the axle. You can also loosen the 2 phillips head screws for each wheel and move them forward or backward to get a better hold on the axle. Dont for get to check the screw that adjust the tail, it should penetrate into the plumbing 1/2 way. DON'T REMOVE THE BLUE WALL DISK. Or your cleaner will get to much power and when he backs up he will tie himself in a knot. BTW the debris in your clener is most likely in the jets that blow water up the middle and into the bag, this is the narrowest part of the plumbing.

If I disconect the sweeper from the side wall of the pool there is very low pressure coming out. I have back wash several times, change pump with all new rotating parts.

Was it the booster or filter pump that the parts were changed on? I'd first make sure the impeller on the booster pump isn't clogged. The openings in the impeller are small and can clog easily. You can use a paper clip to clean them out. Or if it was run dry the impeller could have slightly melted and is slipping.

Guys, the problem is not the polaris. THe problem is not enough pressure to no pressure to power the polaris. I do have a screen/filter on the polaris.

OK. Presume you know this at least in part because you've checked pressure at the pool cleaner return or by counting wheel revolutions. Is the flow from your eye-ball returns also impeded -- or just at the pool cleaner return? If the problem is at all returns, the next step would be to check flow after the pump/filter. If possible, try plugging some returns or partially shutting off water features, etc to see if you can increase the flow. If the problem is only at the pool cleaner return start by checking feed to booster pump (off the return line) and the flow out from the booster. Inspect flex lines here to ensure they're not crimped, leaking etc. Remaining component is the PVC cleaner line between booster and pool. A flow meter might aid your diagnosis.

Beyond this, one of the hydraulics/pump experts on this board may be able to provide more specific advice.

A few things here...first off, it is easy to determine if you have the correct amount of pressure from your booster pump. Polaris makes available a pressure testing rig that basically consists of a 3/4" pvc tube with a quick-disconnect and a pressure gauge attached. Your local pool dealer should be able to get you one of those. I'm not sure what the correct pressure is, but this rig will tell you for sure if you have enough flow. You can always go the quick route and assume that if you have 28-32 rpm on your wheels the pressure is correct.

Secondly, If it were only a pressure problem, the cleaner would probably move all the time, just slowly. Make sure to check the scree at the wall and clean it regularly. Sometimes small rocks or other debris will get past the filter and lodge inside the water management system blocking off one of the jets. If the jet that turns the paddle wheel is blocked it will slow or stop the cleaner.

Also, just because you have good pressure at the wall does not mean you have adequate pressure getting to the cleaner. You need to make sure all the swivels are good and not spraying water and bleeding pressure.

Another consideration would be the backup valve. Sometimes the gears inside the backup valve will get stuck where it is partially open to the cleaner and partially open to the backwards jet. This would cause the cleaner to stop running and not backup either. I have also seen the body of the backup valve form a crack right alongside the jet where the molding is curved. Be sure to check out the backup valve really well. Then check the belts and make sure they are not slipping.

It would be a good idea to disassemble the cleaner and go over the water management system really well checking all the zip ties on the hoses and making sure all the hoses are connected properly. Over time, the chlorine will eat away at the zip ties and they may come loose, allowing the tubes to slip off the nipples inside the cleaner. Also, check the o-ring at the stand-pipe to make sure it is sealing properly.

One more thing, you need to make sure the screw that adjusts water flow to the tail is open just enough to give the tail a slow side-to-side action. If it is open too much, it will divert water away from the other nozzles and possible cause the cleaner to move slowly or not at all.

These are all the things I would check if you brought the cleaner to my shop. I hope it helps.

BOught one of those polar is pressure gauge today and everytime It is plugged the pressure is less than 10 psi. Impeller is brand new, new pump, and new seals. Personally cleaned all the filters individually. Pressure at the filter is normal at 10-20psi. Polaris mesh filter is clean, polaris sweeper already taken apart and inspected. Call a third pool company to come over and inspect, guy said my problem is weird but he will check it out.

Any valves in or out of the booster pump that might be malfunctioning? Sometimes a gate valve will stick shut or part way open even though the handle is spun all the way opened. The only other thing I can think of would be a clogged or collapsed line. Hook up a garden hose to the output of the booster and test the pressure. Or even adapt your Polaris fitting to use with the hose. If it works fine,it's a bad line after the pump.

• 2 weeks later...