To Buy Or Not To Buy?

gyamzo

I am looking forward to buy a Hayward dual or variable speed pool pump. Thanks to the educative links someone posted on another forum that I know require a 1HP Up rated pump (pool size 16'x32' 40 to 48 GPM ideal range) but cannot find anything with that rating in dual speed... The dual speed ones only have higher rating..

Is it advisable to go with Hayward SP32102EE or SP3010X152AZ or should I just stick to single speed? Also one of my major concerns is that all these dual speed pumps require 2 to 2 1/2 " piping where as my pool has only 1 1/2" piping. Is it safe to use a reducer union or something with which I can hook up the dual speed motor 2" hole to pipe of 1 1/2"?

Please let me know. I appreciate your advice.

p.s. I am a new pool owner and know nothing about pools except from what I've read on the web in past 2-3 days...so feel free to give any kind of advice..(the only thing I was barely able to read from my antique corroded motor is that it is 1/2 HP...the filter looks new though.. its a Hayward DE filter)

You are overlooking the most important thing about a 2 speed pump. When you run the motor at 1/2 (low) speed, you use 1/8 of the amount of electricity. This is called The Affinity Law of Hydraulics. It is not an opinion or an estimate, it is a science. Therefore when you run your pump on 1/2 (low) speed, you are doubling your run time so as to turnover your pool water at least once a day. So if you do the math, 1/8 X 2 = 1/4, you automatically cut you energy costs by 75%. If your plumbing is 1 1/2", you can replumb your skimmer and drain lines so that they come together into a 2" manifold. Changing out you 1 1/2 plumbing through the filter, heater, etc., back to a manifold to go back down to 1/1/2" before it goes underground. The money you'll save from the energy conservation will pay for your material and efforts in a relatively short period of time.

:D

pooltech9 is absolutely right!!! But follow all of his instructions, and be certain that all of your "accesories i.e. heater, filter, etc." manage 2" plumbing. When we build pools we specifically use 1.5 or 2" pipe based upon 8 hr turn over and necessary gallons per minute requirements. It sounds to me like you are buying a bigger pump, more gpm, than you need. bigger is not always better, if you do so, be prepared to repair your filter!

But concerning your original question... Absolutely no doubt, a 2 speed is a great investment... especially if you are already replaing a single speed. they are great for freeze protection.

You choice of pumps should be determined by the size of your existing plumbing and your filter size. I have the SP3210X152 on my pool, but I have 2" plumbing and a very short suction run. In your case, the two speed may not carry the same benefits. Since your plumbing is 1.5", you'll need to stay with a 1.5 or lower horsepower pump. In low speed, these pumps do not move enough water to skim the surface of your pool, but the lower water velocity will still increase effeciency of filtration and lower energy use. If you run the pump on high speed for a couple of hours per day, then make up the rest on low speed. Your pool gallonage or volume is another factor. You still need to run it long enough to turn the water over 1.5-2 times daily, depending on your environment. The pumps are designed with 2/2.5" ports to accommodate higher flow rates. You can use a 2"x1.5" reducer bushing to connect to your plumbing. The SP3210EE (TriStar pump) design flow rate @40' head is 110gpm. 1.5" pvc should not exceed 51gpm to keep the velocity below 8ft/sec. Low speed gallons per minute is usually about 1/2 of high speed. The SP3010X152AZ (Super II pump) design flow rate @40' head is 90 gpm. I could probably recommenD the 3010X152 if you use high speed for only a few hours daily.

DE filters design flow rate is 2 x sq. ft. Your filter should have a square footage (24, 48, 60, 72) of filtration area. Multiply this number x2 for the design flow rate of your filter & make sure your pump design flow rate is at or below this number.

Thank you so much mart242, pooltech9, AFiremanFirst and txpoolguy, for all your replies!

Before reading the replies, I had found that the pentair superflo dual speed pumps accepted 1 1/2 inch pipe connections and had even ordered the pump an an intermatic controller too! But reading your valuable advice, I have canceled my order.. Thank you all :)

I looked at my DE Filter had max gpm of 72...was far more than the high speed gpm of the pump! True that I could get my pipe changed, filter changed and all that but there are budget constraints.

So now I am ordering SP2605X7 super pump 3/4 HP (300$ at amazon) and will use it sparingly to keep my costs regulated. Does it matter if it is hooked up to 115V or 230V? I have both connections and a dedicated circuit for the pool.

Also I want to attach pics of my current motor for you to see why do i need a replacement. How can I do that? when I click on insert image, it wants a url while the pics are on my desktop...

I can't help you with the picture upload, someone else can, I'm sure.

That particular pump can be installed 110 or 240v. The owner's guide that comes with the pump will have instructions. It is generally as simple as moving a small plug that is located in the electrical compartment on the rear of the pump motor. Be sure you get it right, or you could damage the electric motor.