Air In The Line When Pump Starts Up?

TXGlenn

I have a good bit of air pouring out of my returns when the pump first starts up for the day. Enough to where water is bubbling over the edge of the pool. Once it calms down, I see no air bubbles coming out the the returns and all is fine.

Anyone know what might be the cause and should I be concerned with it?

Thanks

Can you see the air coming into the pump thu the lid?

I noticed a bubble when the pump is off that is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter but when I was back there I noticed a small leak trickling from the clamp that goes around the filter cartridge housing...this is the most likely cause, correct? Does the o-ring grease they sell at pools stores typically correct this problem? The o-ring is only 2 years old.

Can you see the air coming into the pump thu the lid?

I noticed a bubble when the pump is off that is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter but when I was back there I noticed a small leak trickling from the clamp that goes around the filter cartridge housing...this is the most likely cause, correct? Does the o-ring grease they sell at pools stores typically correct this problem? The o-ring is only 2 years old.

Pool Clown is the expert on this -- but I recommend applying a bead of Jack's 327 (or Leslie's Pool & Spa lube) on the pump lid threads (periodically) and the o-ring junction of your filter (when you clean the cartridges). That may stop it. Another possibility is that the o-ring was not seated the last time it was assembled or not enough torque was applied to the spring. So, clean the filter cartridges, reseat the o-ring, lube it generously [edit - per Pool Clown's instruction below] and torque per instructions.

Edited by polyvue

If your filter leaks while it is running, then it is possible that it is draining out when the pump is off, When i say drain out, i don't mean all over the ground, air leaks in, and causes the water to drain out back to the pool, then it's just clearing the air (out of the tank) when the pump starts. Do you still get the air even if you shut the pump off for a few seconds then start again? Or does it need to be off for an extended period of time to get the air passing?

Try tightening the filter clamp (not too tight) and start again. If it still leaks, you may need a new o ring.

I wouldn't smear a "bead" of lube on that o ring, it's too much. lube it sparingly. Just enough to make the o ring shine. And clean the groove that it sits in, before lubing. NO Vaseline.

If your filter leaks while it is running, then it is possible that it is draining out when the pump is off, When i say drain out, i don't mean all over the ground, air leaks in, and causes the water to drain out back to the pool, then it's just clearing the air (out of the tank) when the pump starts. Do you still get the air even if you shut the pump off for a few seconds then start again? Or does it need to be off for an extended period of time to get the air passing?

Try tightening the filter clamp (not too tight) and start again. If it still leaks, you may need a new o ring.

I wouldn't smear a "bead" of lube on that o ring, it's too much. lube it sparingly. Just enough to make the o ring shine. And clean the groove that it sits in, before lubing. NO Vaseline.

I turned the pump on with plans of testing the "turn it off and on again to see if there is air" theory, and today there was no air in the line. Weird. I *think* I had turned it on multiple times in a day in the past and did have the air bubbling issue. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Not common in my experience for this type of problem to just fix itself. Thanks for all your help!

Your last post indicates that the lid o ring,(on the pump) may be where the air was getting in. And now that you have taken it off and lubed it, yes?, there is no longer a leak there.

I never got around to lubing the o-ring...there just didn't seem to be any air in the line all of a sudden.

back to your original question... Is it a problem? Not really, however it would drive me crazy because I'm OCD. DE will often times fill up those "leaks" in your filter, but leaks drive me nuts. You can also get this same problem from jandy valves, where they develope a small leak under "vaccuum". by vaccuum i mean when you shut your system down you filter wants to drain back into the pool because it is higher than the pool level. it is technically a sealed system and likely, should, keep it's water. it's easy to find your leak with your dilema. turn your system on and let all of the air discharge into the pool and out your pressure relief on top of your filter. Then shut the system down and you'll hear air sucking into your system somewhere. You'll have to get close to all of the valves, lid to the pump and clamp around the filter.