Best Way To Introduce Chlorine

Hey Guys,

Seems I've been ruining my heaters heat exchanger by dumping shock and my 3" tablets into my skimmer and using my automatic chlorinator......even though I have a check valve :o(

What is the best form of chlorine to use and the best way to get the chlorine into the pool.

I understand I should desolve the shock into a 5 gal pal...then dump it into the pool. But what about my daily chlorine dose?

A floater? Liquid Chlorine like bleach?

Thanks

Coop

Do NOT put Trichlor pucks/tabs in the skimmer as they are far too acidic. The only ones you can put in the skimmer are BioGuard Silk Smart Sticks. With regular Trichlor pucks/tabs, you need to either use a floating chlorinator or you can use an in-line chlorinator if you have one. Just remember that continued use of Trichlor will increase the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in your pool unless you have significant water dilution. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm.

I use chlorinating liquid twice a week and many people use that or bleach added every day or two. If you have a pool cover, you don't have to add chlorine every day, but will usually need to add it at least twice a week.

You can learn a lot more about maintaining your pool at the Pool School.

Do NOT put Trichlor pucks/tabs in the skimmer as they are far too acidic. The only ones you can put in the skimmer are BioGuard Silk Smart Sticks. With regular Trichlor pucks/tabs, you need to either use a floating chlorinator or you can use an in-line chlorinator if you have one. Just remember that continued use of Trichlor will increase the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in your pool unless you have significant water dilution. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm.

I use chlorinating liquid twice a week and many people use that or bleach added every day or two. If you have a pool cover, you don't have to add chlorine every day, but will usually need to add it at least twice a week.

Thanks chem geek,

I do have an inline clorinator with a check valve but since the inline clorinator has been installed I have gone thru 3 heat exchangers in 2 seasons. For a total of say 5-6 years previous to installing the inline.....I've never had this problem. I will check your site and get a floater.... Unless there is a safe puck / stick to use in the clorinator...the silk sticks? If not I will get a floater.

Thanks much

Coop

Thanks chem geek,

I do have an inline clorinator with a check valve but since the inline clorinator has been installed I have gone thru 3 heat exchangers in 2 seasons. For a total of say 5-6 years previous to installing the inline.....I've never had this problem. I will check your site and get a floater.... Unless there is a safe puck / stick to use in the clorinator...the silk sticks? If not I will get a floater.

Thanks much

Coop

is your inline chlorinator before your heat exchanger?

btw every time I use a floater it always seems to gravitate towards the skimmer.

Thanks chem geek,

Thanks much

Coop

btw every time I use a floater it always seems to gravitate towards the skimmer.

hey gavin,

no....it's after the heater at the pool return....

i would supose you could tie off the floater.... i'd supose even if it ends up at the skimmer it's still somewhat diluted....

btw...this isn't "gavin kane" is it???

coop

Thanks chem geek,

Thanks much

Coop

hey gavin,

i would supose you could tie off the floater.... i'd supose even if it ends up at the skimmer it's still somewhat diluted....

coop

no not gavin kane.

yeah tie it off but then kids could get strangled in the rope.

those traditional heater erode fast wow. try a heat pump like AquaCal they have titanium instead of copper and save like 80% on heating bill.

Thanks chem geek,

Thanks much

Coop

hey gavin,

coop

no not gavin kane.

yeah tie it off but then kids could get strangled in the rope.

those traditional heater erode fast wow. try a heat pump like AquaCal they have titanium instead of copper and save like 80% on heating bill.

Hmmmm strangled huh ......maybe the ole lady will go swimming :o)

I would like something larger / faster but my gas line going out there is only 1" and that's just enough for the 100,000 btu hayward above ground heater.

picture of my pool / deck area

PoolfromTopDeck.jpg

coop

Hey Richard those smart sticks sound good. but how can they last longer without CYA? I'm really pushing SWG's now and plan on bringing in a few systems to install. will cut down on chemical costs and seems a much better way to chlorinate. However some pool owners will still stay with the traditional pool setup. and only pay for once a week service. It's summer now and people are using the pools more and chlorine usage is way up to the point where I'm supplementing some pools with chlorine tablets. some have floater and some don't so putting some tabs in the skimmer basket. would like to try these smart sticks.

do they work just as well as the 7 day chlorine tablets?

Hey Richard those smart sticks sound good. but how can they last longer without CYA? I'm really pushing SWG's now and plan on bringing in a few systems to install. will cut down on chemical costs and seems a much better way to chlorinate. However some pool owners will still stay with the traditional pool setup. and only pay for once a week service. It's summer now and people are using the pools more and chlorine usage is way up to the point where I'm supplementing some pools with chlorine tablets. some have floater and some don't so putting some tabs in the skimmer basket. would like to try these smart sticks.

do they work just as well as the 7 day chlorine tablets?

I bought the 3" bio-gaurd silk tabs to put in my in-line chlorinator. I also put in a new jandy spring loaded check valve.. All my levels are in range now using the dip sticks. The new exchanger is on it's way...so hopefully I'm all set now.

Coop

The Silk Tabs ARE Trichlor tabs so they have CYA in them. They just have special binders that dissolve more slowly and only do so (to any reasonable degree) when there is water flow as when the pump is running.

Just keep in mind that as with any Trichlor tabs, for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) that they add, they also increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.

The Silk Tabs ARE Trichlor tabs so they have CYA in them. They just have special binders that dissolve more slowly and only do so (to any reasonable degree) when there is water flow as when the pump is running.

Just keep in mind that as with any Trichlor tabs, for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) that they add, they also increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.

Thanks....I've ordered the K2006 test kit so I will be able to do a full test soon.

Coop

Thanks Rich. B) I found some but they have been sitting on the shelf for a very long time. I guess people just don't buy them over here.