Motor Problem

jed1894

Hello....first post:

I have an old Espree II hot tub I got used. It was working when I got it, but then burned up some wiring. I got it re-wired and it worked good. However, I turned it off for about 4 months without use and when I went to start it back up, it would only make a buzzing sound. The unit has a 3 position switch (off, heater, and circulation). The unit will only make a buzzing sound when I turn to heat and/or circulation. I'm assuming the motor has locked up, but wondering if I could try other things before I tried to find a replacement motor.

thanks in advance, jed

Hello....first post:

I have an old Espree II hot tub I got used. It was working when I got it, but then burned up some wiring. I got it re-wired and it worked good. However, I turned it off for about 4 months without use and when I went to start it back up, it would only make a buzzing sound. The unit has a 3 position switch (off, heater, and circulation). The unit will only make a buzzing sound when I turn to heat and/or circulation. I'm assuming the motor has locked up, but wondering if I could try other things before I tried to find a replacement motor.

thanks in advance, jed

Good news for you, as long as you didnt let is keep buzzing and started smelling burnt wiring you should be ok.

Do this on the electrical end of the motor take off the sover for the motor shaft and you should either to put a flat screwdriver or a 7/16 wrench on the shaft and turm it a little, that will break the small amount of rust that formed on the bearings at the shaft when you turned it off and let it sit. if your having problems getting to the shaft there, break the pump apart and turn the impellor with your hand.

The motor should run now if not and your sure you have power to it replace it with a new one, and in the future when you plan on not using your pump for a while, put a drop light next to if for a day after you turn it off this will dry and condesation that formed when your hot pool motor cooled down.

ozarkpoolman