Water Leak

MsBuckles

i have an inground 20X40 with vinyl liner and sand filter.. i am losing water way to fast to be evaporation. i have done the color test and the only place i can find is the jets themselves.. without the pump on is water suppose to be sucked back into the jets? i have walked the area around the pool and never found a wet spot.. i put plugs in the jets during winter and the water level held.. at wits end and tired of adding and inch or so of water daily. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks bunches!!!

i have an inground 20X40 with vinyl liner and sand filter.. i am losing water way to fast to be evaporation. i have done the color test and the only place i can find is the jets themselves.. without the pump on is water suppose to be sucked back into the jets? i have walked the area around the pool and never found a wet spot.. i put plugs in the jets during winter and the water level held.. at wits end and tired of adding and inch or so of water daily. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks bunches!!!

You already solved your problem. The return lines (jets) are leaking. You will to find out which one it is if there is more than 1. Not knowing what your pool looks like you might be able to dig behind the pool deck and tunnel under to the return line.

i have a grecian shaped pool with concrete 3ft wide surrounding it.. i have 2 jets is there anyway to tell which one? guess i figured that was prob was just hoping it might be a gasket or something lol oh well there goes my concrete i guess :o thanks bunches for your reply

If there is ground behind the concrete you can dig behind it and tunnel under. At the filter is there two pipes that go back to the pool above the ground? If so they need to cut apart and then pressure tested to find which one.

The two jets split off of a common line, so it may be very difficult to tell which underground line has the leak. Your best bet, other than diging up the whole yard, is to hire a local leak detection service. They can locate the leak underground by pressure testing the lines. They usually can locate the leak to within a 3' radius, so as to minimize the amount of digging required. Wet spots may not show up, as the water is probably following the pipe to a place where it drains off without rising to the surface. If you let the pump run for 24 hours, keeping the water level in the pool maintained, you might see the wet area, but there's no guarantee that it will be visible at the site of the leak. It depends on how the water is migrating underground.