New Pool Owner, Multiple Issues

devis

Where to start... Jumped on the foreclosure bandwagon and bought my first home with a pool in NorCal, Concord to be exact. Because this was an FHA loan, the strict requirements included a clean swim condition pool. The pool was empty, the bank cleaned it up, filled it and passed FHA. This was back in September. Unfortunately I was unable to close until December, work needed to be done in the house, moved in beginning of February. So since Sept when the pool was up and running, nothing was done to it. Pump was taken offline, needless to say algae had taken over. I decided to let it be for I had more pressing issues, until I saw mosquito larvae swimming around. Then I decided it was time. I know... anyway. Got a guy, it took him a week to bring it to a much better shape. Water is OK, a tiny bit cloudy but that's to be expected.

Pool is about 15k Gallons, pump is a 1.5 HP. Along the same side of the pool I have the built in skimmer in deep end and two return pipes in shallow end. Water circulates from shallow to deep, counterclockwise.

Problems:

1. Black stains all over. Not sure what they are... been reading about those for a couple of days but I can't pinpoint the cause.

2. Skimmer doesn't seem to work too well, but I suspect that's related to problem 3. Either way any suggestions for a floating skimmer would be greatly appreciated.

3. Pressure in filter is about 35 PSI, constant. Pool guy noticed something funny... the return pipes from the filter to the pool are of diminishing diameter. 2 to 1.5 to 1.25. Two bottlenecks being created thus reducing overall waterflow.

4. Plaster is in not the greatest condition. Been considering replastering, but since bigger issues are at work, the pool has to be put in the back burner for now. Not to mention, even if I had the cash to play with draining wouldn't be an option for at least a few months since we just ended the rain season.

My ideas:

Floating skimmer and sweeper, for sure. Not sure what brands though...

Short of redoing the entire return system with same size pipes, I've been thinking of running pipes above ground then splitting the end in two corners of the pool. This should, in theory, give me a whole lot better waterflow and circulation and I believe I won't have the pressure issue in the filter. Thinking to put them in the deep end, one pipe deep one not so deep, the deep one facing the shallow end and the other pipe facing the other pipe. I'm lookin for a circular all around flow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will take some pictures tomorrow during sunlight so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Where to start... Jumped on the foreclosure bandwagon and bought my first home with a pool in NorCal, Concord to be exact. Because this was an FHA loan, the strict requirements included a clean swim condition pool. The pool was empty, the bank cleaned it up, filled it and passed FHA. This was back in September. Unfortunately I was unable to close until December, work needed to be done in the house, moved in beginning of February. So since Sept when the pool was up and running, nothing was done to it. Pump was taken offline, needless to say algae had taken over. I decided to let it be for I had more pressing issues, until I saw mosquito larvae swimming around. Then I decided it was time. I know... anyway. Got a guy, it took him a week to bring it to a much better shape. Water is OK, a tiny bit cloudy but that's to be expected.

Pool is about 15k Gallons, pump is a 1.5 HP. Along the same side of the pool I have the built in skimmer in deep end and two return pipes in shallow end. Water circulates from shallow to deep, counterclockwise.

Problems:

1. Black stains all over. Not sure what they are... been reading about those for a couple of days but I can't pinpoint the cause.

2. Skimmer doesn't seem to work too well, but I suspect that's related to problem 3. Either way any suggestions for a floating skimmer would be greatly appreciated.

3. Pressure in filter is about 35 PSI, constant. Pool guy noticed something funny... the return pipes from the filter to the pool are of diminishing diameter. 2 to 1.5 to 1.25. Two bottlenecks being created thus reducing overall waterflow.

4. Plaster is in not the greatest condition. Been considering replastering, but since bigger issues are at work, the pool has to be put in the back burner for now. Not to mention, even if I had the cash to play with draining wouldn't be an option for at least a few months since we just ended the rain season.

My ideas:

Floating skimmer and sweeper, for sure. Not sure what brands though...

Short of redoing the entire return system with same size pipes, I've been thinking of running pipes above ground then splitting the end in two corners of the pool. This should, in theory, give me a whole lot better waterflow and circulation and I believe I won't have the pressure issue in the filter. Thinking to put them in the deep end, one pipe deep one not so deep, the deep one facing the shallow end and the other pipe facing the other pipe. I'm lookin for a circular all around flow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will take some pictures tomorrow during sunlight so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Did the pool guy ever clean the filter after cleaning up the pool. Even a sand filter can be cleaned. If it is a DE or cartridge filter take it apart and clean it. If it a sand filter change the sand in it. A clean filter should reduce pressure and make the skimmer work better. There is tons of old pools here with small return lines and they work well in circulating. Give some info on filter system

You've got serious of problems there Davis. Starting up your swimming is not that easy. You need to have perfect pool chemicals. You can buy the Blue wave product. Pool chemical start up kit or the Aqua-rite Chlorine generator. It's good to add freshness to your swimming pool. About the skimmer problem you have I don't really have that much information about it. I guess you can ask the help of some expert pool cleaners. I think the black stains is what you call algae. Not sure what it really is. I had the same problem back then. Anyway. I hope you can solve your pool problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I think your problem with the skimmer has nothing to do with the skimmer itself. Your filter pressure is entirely to high for a 1.5 pump. Your filter should be reading a pressure of anywhere from 12 to 20 pound given that the filter is properly sized for your pool. Do you have any information on what kind of filter you have? Weather its a sand filter, DE filter or Cartridge? And size of it? When your able to bring that pressure down in the filter, by cleaning it, your skimmer should work like a charm. The size of your return pipes are going to cause some resistance driving your filter pressure a little higher but 35 pounds sounds to be entirely to much.