Metal Stains And Rust In Jandy Filter (pics)

TXGlenn

Hi everyone. I have a 2-year-old salt water pool and have been having problems with metal stains. This weekend I took the top off of the Jandy filter tank and find this rusted mess. I hate to ask the obvious, but is this the likely cause of my metal stains? Is this a common problem and how should I proceed with this? Any input would be appreciated.

metalplaterusting.jpg

It looks like the rivets that held this metal plate in position just rusted away…the entire plate fell off when I touched it.

platemissing.jpg

What is the purpose of this metal ring around the bottom of the tank? Here are some other areas with rust stains coming out from underneath the metal ring.

rustarea.jpg

otherrustareas.jpg

The increased conductivity of the water due to the higher salt levels (usually 3000 ppm) needed by the saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) will increase corrosion rates. This is described in this blog and in this thread, this thread and this thread. If the filter or screws are stainless steel, then there is additional corrosion that can occur from high chloride levels specifically (especially with high sulfate levels which can occur from use of sodium bisulfate dry acid or from MPS non-chlorine shock).

As Pathfinder indicated, you can use a sacrificial anode attached to the bonding wire (and suitably buried in moist soil, though just having it attached is better than nothing) where I assume the bonding wire is already attached to the filter.

Which model of filter is it?

Are there any other sources of metal anywhere else in your equipment?

Do you have a heater?

Can you have the tap water tested for iron?

Thanks for the reponses guys. Not really what I wanted to hear as I don't know anything about sacrificial anodes or even what they look like. But nothing seems to come easy with this pool.

Quantum -

This is a Jandy CL series filter. I do have a heater and originally thought that may have been the source of the metal. This heater was evidently one the pool builder installed somewhere else, they didn't like the color, so they took it out. I got a deal on it, but I'm not sure how old it is...it's not new.

Where could I get my tap water tested for iron?