Deck Ideas

Coops

I am trying to finalize some plans re: a deck that we're building onto the house. We plan to have the hot tub installed ON the deck in an area that is approximately 10x10 and one step down (maybe) from a larger 'main' deck. Although i would like to 'sink' the tub a bit i probably will not do this as i don't want to deal with difficult access issues. The deck builder is aware of the plan for the hot tub and we'll be talking about ensuring that the deck is built to withstand the weight of the unit, etc.

Am looking for any ideas, advice, challenges that others have faced when making decisions about decks, placement of tubs, etc.

Thanks!

Although i would like to 'sink' the tub a bit i probably will not do this as i don't want to deal with difficult access issues.

We have the base of our spa below the decking. To help solve access issues I secured the decking with screws, which makes it quite easy to remove if I have to get access at a later date, however I have kept the equipment side completely clear. There are decking steps up around the spa.

Since I have no idea of a) what is around your deck, B) the height of your deck from the ground, or c) the size of the hot tub you intend to install, the following may not need to be considered...however, I would suggest you should check your local building code to see if a railing around the edge of your deck will be required for safety reasons.

Ideally, you should have fairly easy access for all four sides of the tub. A 10' x 10' space is not a very big area to put a spa and still have working room to the front, back and side panels of a hot tub, particularly when steps, handrails and balisters are limiting full body access.

Just a thought.

gman ;)

Think of five of your heaviest friends in the tub with you. Each brought a spouse that will be standing next to the spa. And don't forget they will have kids running around. Then add this weight to the tub and water calculation.

If you are going for a builder, good! Not just a guy that you know that builds decks, but a licensed contractor. Also look at getting an engineer to sign off on the plan. This will transfer the liablility away from you.

Thanks for the responses!

I know that keeping access to the spa is important. My current thinking is that the 10 x 10 space I envision will allow plenty of access on the 'control' side and about 2 feet on 2 of the other sides. THe remaining side will be against a privacy fence that can be removed if needed. In other words, the overall deck is L shaped - the 'main' deck is long and will connect with the 10 x 10 section where i want to place the hottub.

The deck builder is a general contractor and is aware of the need to calculate for hot tub plus water plus people, etc.

I welcome additional thoughts, questions, etc- it's good to have this forum to share ideas!