Gfci Or No Gfci

JamesIlsley

Ok, so took delivery of my first spa today. The electrician/installer wired the spa to my outdoor main breaker box about 10 feet from the spa (in sight).

Here is the issue: I let him talk me into not using a GFCI breaker. He told me that it was my choice (since I paid for parts separately it didn't make a difference to him either way) but he advised that when he installs GFCI breakers "after about six months people get sick of them nuisance tipping all the time and usually call him back out to put in a regular breaker" He said he had been installing electrical for spas for 20 years and never had a problem and that the regular breaker was safe.

So anyway... I am having major second thoughts. I am considering picking up the GFCI breaker and putting it. My question: does anyone agree with what this guy told me? Is the "nuisance" tripping something that happens often? I have seen special "spa friendly" boxes that are supposed to help the false trips but they are all in disconnects (which I dont need since my breaker box is positioned properly as the disconnect.) Is there a special breaker that I should get?

Sorry to have so many questions, but before I fill this puppy up I want to be sure I am making good choices :-)

Sounds like your electrician either needs a serious update on Code, or something more. GFCI breakers are required. Plus, GFCI breakers really only trip for a couple reasons: 1) Improper wiring or electrical short (causing power to ground) or 2) Bad GFCI breaker. 3) Pulling to much amperage through the breaker. So if this electrician is getting call backs for "nuisance" trips, there's probably something wrong with the wiring.

So an update:

I just finished making everything right. When I opened the box, I noticed that not only did he not use a gfci, but he used a 50 amp breaker on a 60 amp spa! I called the manufacturer (who were awesome) and they connected me with their tech guy who confirmed that the model tub I have NEEDs a 60 amp as it pulls close to 50 amps. Doh!

I found out that Square D doesn't make a 60 amp gfci, so I got a auxiliary spa box with a built in 60 amp gfci breaker at Home Depot and a Square D regular 60 amp breaker for the main box. I mounted the aux spa box right next to the main box, ran the power through a very stable conduit and wired everything up verbatim to the manufacturer's instructions. Lots of work but it wasn't hard. Not sure why the "electrician" couldn't do it right the first time.

So long story short, everything is connected, tested and working great. The new tub is filling right now!

Thank you all for your help. I knew something was not right but it is always good to have others confirm what you already know. :-)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Make sure the wire size is correct for 60amp service. Not only from the disconnect to the spa, but also from the main power source to the disconnect. If the wire for instance is too small, pushing 60 amps through it could cause a electrical/fire hazard.

++++++1

Everyone else has touched on the necessity of the GFCI, but pay attention to this post. Double check all the wiring to ensure it is the proper size and type for your installation. If the electrician screwed up the breaker sizing, he could just as easily screwed up the ampacity of ALL the wiring.

John

Got it. Had it all checked by a 3rd party electrician and then checked it all again myself. I trust no one but myself anymore :-)

• 13 years later...

I have an inground gunite/plaster spa on our rear patio area. Updating it, I am having a new spa automation control panel installed which has a spots for additional smaller breakers to control pumps, heater, light and blower motor. This new box will feed from the house main breaker panel using a 100A breaker. My question is:

a. How to best handle GFCI issues. Should the new automation panel be fed from a 100A GFCI? -or- Should each breaker attached to the pumps, heater, light and blower motor have their own individual GFCI breakers?