Jacuzzi Vs Hotspring Vs Inexpensive Round Tub

gordholio99

Hey everyone:

Okay, after a few weeks of shopping and wet testing and posting here (and realizing that many brands are not represented in our area), my wife and I have narrowed it down to:

Jacuzzi J-335

HotSpring Envoy

California Coopergage 103

We have *very* good prices on all three. I know this because I'm incredibly "thrifty" (cheap!) and check everywhere to make damn sure we're not overpaying. :-) The Jacuzzi is $1500 less than the HotSpring, which it should be given that it's not part of Jacuzzi's top line, and the little CC 103 is almost half the price of the HotSpring.

I have two questions. The first concerns the reliability, serviceability, and properietary nature of the two "upscale" tubs, the HotSpring and the Jacuzzi. Basically, I'm looking beyond the warranty period and would like to know from anyone who has experience with both if one is substantially easier to fix and/or better designed. I'm aware that some tubs are tougher to repair because of the way they're put together, and some tubs use more proprietary parts than others. For example, the Jacuzzi uses an "Emerson" motor that I know nothing about and what to me appears to be an odd-looking heater element. But I know enough only to be dangerous. Haha. So...are there any experienced repair/service guys or general spa experts out there who can give me their impressions of these tubs in this respect?

The second question: Obviously, the little, round Cooperage 103 is in an entirely different class. However, we gave it a wet test anyway because we're accustomed to a lack of jets in the ancient tub we currently own. And you know what? We found we didn't mind the lack of jets. Indeed, the gentle swirling this tub offers was in some ways preferable to the all-out jet craziness of the other two. So...given the much lower price tag, we are considering it. The question then: I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's opted to go with a smaller, simpler, round tub over a high-end jet-filled beast. Did you regret your decision over the long haul, or did you find yourself quite content with it?

I don't need any info on anything else (ie foam-filled vs thermal pane, comfort level, etc.). I'm at peace with all of that. Just looking for specific opinions on those two questions.

Thanks very much in advance to all who contribute. This forum has helped greatly in our decision-making process.

The second question: Obviously, the little, round Cooperage 103 is in an entirely different class. However, we gave it a wet test anyway because we're accustomed to a lack of jets in the ancient tub we currently own. And you know what? We found we didn't mind the lack of jets. Indeed, the gentle swirling this tub offers was in some ways preferable to the all-out jet craziness of the other two. So...given the much lower price tag, we are considering it. The question then: I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's opted to go with a smaller, simpler, round tub over a high-end jet-filled beast. Did you regret your decision over the long haul, or did you find yourself quite content with it?

process.

gordholio - I think many people overlook the round tubs. After nearly buying a D1 Nautilus or Jacuzzi J-365 last year, I will be buying a simpler, round tub in the spring, probably a D1 Journey or Marquis Envy. Jacuzzi has a nice round tub, the J-210 that looks like a nicer tub than the California Coop 103, but I don't know how the prices compare. My local Jacuzzi dealer also handles Nordic spas and if you want a round tub they really like to sell you one of those instead of a Jacuzzi. I think the J-210 is very nice with two level seating plus step/cooldown set, four jetted seats plus the total tub whirlpool jet, 2 foot jets (wish the Marquis Envy had them).

Good luck in your search!

Hey Spawn. Thanks for the reply. We looked at the J-210 yesterday. The jetting placement, etc. looks nice for sure, but we liked the slightly (5 inches) larger diameter of the 103. I mean, even husband and wife need a little space now and then. :-) Having said that, they didn't have the J-210 filled with water. We couldn't wet test. How did you find the depth? Decent foot well? Water get over your shoulders?

I have not been able to wet test the J-210 - our local Jacuzzi dealer doesn't stock them and steers potential buyers into the Nordics which they stock and have on display. I suppose depth "depends". For us, we wanted more depth than the single level seating of the Nordic provided. We liked the depth of the Marquis Envy - over the shoulders in the deep seats - and the option to come out of the water a bit on the higher level seats. Still waiting to test the D1 Journey which looks best on paper for us (really want the foot jets). I believe even the smaller diameter Envy at 76" I think would still be big enough for the two of us. The round tubs are way more roomy than the triangular or rectangualer 2/3 person and many 4 person tubs and can handle four but it may seem cozy - it would be fine for those rare occassions when a couple people join us.

Ongoing costs are lower on the smaller round tubs too, although that is not a major concern for us. Most manufacturers don't provide energy costs on the tubs because there are so many variables, However, when a manufacturer makes certain assmptions about usage, temperature etc, and applies them to all tubs in their line you can get a good perspective on how they relate. D1 has those yellow energy consumption labels available on their website for each of their tubs. I have seen them for Marquis - the dealer had them - but I didn't see them on the website. Also, you are only maintaining / repairing one pump, replacing / cleaning one filter. Most of the little round tubs do not require 220V electrical, so that is another potential cost savings but we will go ahead and install 220 for faster heating. The back yard is going to be torn up and we''l be running electrical to an outdoor structure so it won't be a huge cost difference for us to go to 220.