Intex Pump / Filter Performance.

Zer0

For those that have an Intex, like me; how do you find the pump / filtration? I've had mine for a few weeks now, and replaced the filter yesterday - it was brown and full of gunk! I've replaced it with another cartridge (type A), but I am thinking of trying a filter sock. I don't know where to obtain this, but have seen these Filter Bags. Are they designed to replace the cartridge filter, or slip over the top of the cartridge?

If you have used these or have any other suggestions please post, and also if you know where I can get them in Western Australia.

Thanks..

• 2 months later...
For those that have an Intex, like me; how do you find the pump / filtration? I've had mine for a few weeks now, and replaced the filter yesterday - it was brown and full of gunk! I've replaced it with another cartridge (type A), but I am thinking of trying a filter sock. I don't know where to obtain this, but have seen these Filter Bags. Are they designed to replace the cartridge filter, or slip over the top of the cartridge?

If you have used these or have any other suggestions please post, and also if you know where I can get them in Western Australia.

Thanks..

Remove and wash filter weekly. I use an alkali degreaser called Greased Lightening here in the US. I spray the cleaner onto the outside of the filter, wait about 20mins and then hose off.

I have 2 filters so I can let the washed one dry and then swap them out. Doing this means the 2 filters last all season!

• 4 weeks later...

I found that mine was not able to keep up and I had to run it 24 hours a day. It kicked the bucket last season after only 2 seasons. All season it made a rattling noise like there were loose bearings or something. It would lock up but I could free it with a kick but it eventually locked up for good. I replaced it with a sand filter system that I got on craigslist for free but I haven't hooked it all up yet.

• 1 month later...

Just to let others know I have finally solved my Intex brown water problem, and I wanted to share my experience with you all. I bought this Intex pool as a "first pool" with the idea of using it for a year just to make sure we enjoyed it before investing a few thousand on a permanent one.

It took us a couple days to get the ground level, and another day and a half to fill the pool. We were so excited to watch the water level rise and once it was full we were ready to swim! So that night I threw the Shock in and went to sleep having dreams of diving in the pool and relaxing with a beer in my crystal clear pool.

Well what a shock I had in the morning to find my water Brown as the Illinois River, and to be honest the river looks better then our pool did. I checked the filter and yes it was working and the filter was Chocolate color, so I took it out and rinsed it clean and put it back in.

I called the local pool company and he explained that it was the iron reacting to the chlorine, and he sold me a bottle of StainBan. Once I got the StainBan in I had to babysit this pool every two hours so I could clean the filter off. I even took the discharge hose off the pool and placed an old t-shirt old it, and that to was stained red within an hour. I fought with this pool for 2 weeks and the best I could get it was light brown, and that was not good enough for me. Once I realized that the filter was doing very little I knew I had two choices:

1. Take the pool back.

2. Or keep the pool but buy a better filter.

I did some looking and a lot of calling and decided a sand filter is what I needed for well water. I checked around and found out that a sand filter new is more then the whole pool, but used is a completely different story. I ended up getting a Pentair 1.5hp 200lbs sand filter for $150.00 off of Craigslist, and it connected right to my Intex hoses all I needed was two hose clamps. It took me 5 minutes to get the Pentair Sand Filter hooked up, and with 10 hours my water was better then it has been in two weeks of constantly running my Intex pump. I am now of my 15th hour of the sand filter and my water is 95% crystal clear, and I would imagine by tomorrow it will be 100%.

So long story short, this Intex pool filter is not made for well water, and it can be totally frustrating dealing with all the hassles of brown water but there is hope out there. I have even posted a video on youtube to show the progress of my pool. Please forgive me for the quality of the video but you will be able to see the difference. I hope this post gives you some hope if you are dealing with the problem I had. Here is the link to the 1st video of my pool

and I will be taking video until it is crystal clear. Thanks!!

I did some looking and a lot of calling and decided a sand filter is what I needed for well water. I checked around and found out that a sand filter new is more then the whole pool, but used is a completely different story. I ended up getting a Pentair 1.5hp 200lbs sand filter for $150.00 off of Craigslist, and it connected right to my Intex hoses all I needed was two hose clamps. It took me 5 minutes to get the Pentair Sand Filter hooked up, and with 10 hours my water was better then it has been in two weeks of constantly running my Intex pump. I am now of my 15th hour of the sand filter and my water is 95% crystal clear, and I would imagine by tomorrow it will be 100%.

Sounds great. I was just wondering if you have a way to backwash the sand filter once the pressure starts rising. But perhaps you've already got that figured out.