Hotspring Foan Insulation Question

New owner here.... I just purchased a 1996 Hotspring Prodigy for my wife that appears to be in really clean condition. The shell is immaculate, redwood skirt refinished, and comtrol compartment very clean. I bought it off Craigslist from a guy who refurbishes, delivers, and offers a warranty. The spa was up and running when I purchased it and it is currently empty at my house as we are reinforcing the deck that it will be placed on this weekend.

When the tub was delivered (and up on it's side), I noticed that some of the foam insulation on the bottom was ripped out. It appeard to be about mayby 9-12 inches in diameter and an inch or two thick.

There appeared to to no water damage and when I asked the man who sold me the spa, he said it may have been torn during delivery at some point. It didn't look major, but was clearly noticable.

So... does this warrant concern or repair? Id so, how should I repair it? We live in the mild climate of the Central California coast and the hot tub will be set on a deck raised above the ground.

Thanks!

New owner here.... I just purchased a 1996 Hotspring Prodigy for my wife that appears to be in really clean condition. The shell is immaculate, redwood skirt refinished, and comtrol compartment very clean. I bought it off Craigslist from a guy who refurbishes, delivers, and offers a warranty. The spa was up and running when I purchased it and it is currently empty at my house as we are reinforcing the deck that it will be placed on this weekend.

When the tub was delivered (and up on it's side), I noticed that some of the foam insulation on the bottom was ripped out. It appeard to be about mayby 9-12 inches in diameter and an inch or two thick.

There appeared to to no water damage and when I asked the man who sold me the spa, he said it may have been torn during delivery at some point. It didn't look major, but was clearly noticable.

So... does this warrant concern or repair? Id so, how should I repair it? We live in the mild climate of the Central California coast and the hot tub will be set on a deck raised above the ground.

Thanks!

I would not worry about it.

Thanks!

I'd be concerned if there is any chance rodents can get under it. While its only an inch or two deep and shouldn't effect insulation much, especially where you live, you do not want anything nesting in there. If you talk to a local Hot Spring dealer you can see about getting what they use (a simple to use type of 2-part epoxy) when they have to replace that hardcoat on the bottom.

Thanks!

I'd be concerned if there is any chance rodents can get under it. While its only an inch or two deep and shouldn't effect insulation much, especially where you live, you do not want anything nesting in there. If you talk to a local Hot Spring dealer you can see about getting what they use (a simple to use type of 2-part epoxy) when they have to replace that hardcoat on the bottom.

Not really any chance of rodents entering that area. Though I did, upon very close inspection, notice some rodent droppings in the equipment compartment with a bit of chewed up foam from long ago. No wire damage and the critters are long gone. Hope they didn't cause too much damage!

Thanks!

Not really any chance of rodents entering that area. Though I did, upon very close inspection, notice some rodent droppings in the equipment compartment with a bit of chewed up foam from long ago. No wire damage and the critters are long gone. Hope they didn't cause too much damage!

If you want you can buy a can of polyurethane foam at Lowes or Home Depot for the touch up. I actually develop Polyurethane Insulation. A small chunck is nothing to worry about. Most rodents will not eat or live in the foam.

With the door closed, look for any gaps where rodents could get in the equipment area and seal them up. Since the spa is not running, you could turn it on its side so you can look at the underside where the door attaches and inspect closely for gaps which is easier to do in that position. Mice can get in openings the size of a dime.