Spa Frog? Worth The Money?

hot_water

Hi guys,

I've been buying the "spa frog" mineral stick for something like $20 a pop. You put it in the filter, it's supposed to last for 4 months.

My question is, does this thing actually do anything positive or an I just wasting $60 each year? I don't know how to test for its effectiveness, and I'm not sure it's wise to reduce the bromine level based on something so.... voodoo.

What do you chemistry experts think?

I am not a chemistry expert...so ignore if that is your only qualifying criteria. However, from a user experience perspective (continuously since the early '70s and counting):

I have used the Spa Frog floater Bromine and Mineral cartridges for well over a year and have been maintaining a sanitizer level of 1.0ppm +/- 0.5ppm with no issues. My spa has provisions to use in-line cartridges, but I prefer the option of removing the floater when I am using the spa.

I bought my initial purchase of cartridges in-bulk online (typically via eBay, Amazon, etc.).

Here is an excerpt from a previous post: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21953

In one of my spas, I use the Spa Frog yellow (Bromine) and blue (Mineral) cartridge float system. I buy in-bulk and on my last purchase I paid approximately $80.00 for 9 Bromine and 3 Mineral cartridges. Doing a little algebra based on market observed dependent ratios between the two cartridge products...I believe the approximate unit cost for this given purchase was $4.99 (Bromine) and $11.68 (Mineral) per cartridge. Further, my last bulk purchase of 43% MPS cost approximately $128.00 for 50lbs...which relates to 6.25oz per $.

My observed monthly water sanitation costs:

Bromine cartridge is replaced when expended; for me, it typically will last 3 months with an orifice setting of "3" tethered and floating mid-way between active filter-cycle jets (the manufacture states the cartridge will last 2-4 weeks which is way below my observations).

= $1.66 per month.

Mineral cartridge, per the manufacturer's instructions, should be replaced every 4 months (I have gone 6 months with no ill effects...which may indicate it does less than advertised).

= $2.92 per month.

I typically use not more than 2-3oz of MPS per week (CD ozonator; *sanitizer target: 1ppm [+/-0.5ppm]; 420 gallon [as filled]; 100F; 1-or-2 people at 20-50 minutes 2-3 times per week; *1hr/12hrs filtering cycle)...or approximately 10.75oz per month.

= $1.72 per month.

Total monthly cost to maintain sanitizer levels with Spa Frog: $6.30. Note: This price is dependent on discount out-of-state (no tax) bulk purchases with nominal shipping charges.

My wife and I travel, so I rely on the proven 3-step Bromine system because it is very simple, somewhat cost effective and keeps my water crystal clear and odor/irritation free for 4-to-6 months between fills. In fact, I used only 2oz of TA+ and 1oz of pH- over 5 months between refills to maintain water balance. Edit: I have not had to use any water balance chemicals on my latest fill now going on 2 1/2 months.

* I maintain my spa's sanitizer levels and daily filtration cycles below recommended minimums (3-5ppm and 2hrs/12hrs respectively) with no ill effects to date.

P.S. If my wife and I did not enjoy traveling so much, I would simply use Nitro's method...which I did (with some variation) for more the 10 years with no issues. I have been using some form of the Bromine 3-step method for over 25 years with no issues (other than somewhat higher costs, but arguably lower effort).

P.P.S. Please let me know if there is a cheaper MPS way to go: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21724

For reference (Nitro's methods):

Nitro's Approach To Water Maintenance

A guide to Water Balance and Sanitation using Chlorine

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13634

Lowering Total Alkalinity

How to lower TA, without lowering pH

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19149

Chlorine Demand (CD)

What is it, and why you should care

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18706

Decontamination

How to Super Shock your Tub

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19115

Thanks for your comments, Pup.

Not sure we're using the same product. I have a regular floating dispenser that I put bromine tabs in - not a spa frog product. The spa frog mineral gizmo I'm using is just the "mineral stick" that you put inside your filter. I looked it up - last time I bought it, it was just under $23, basically lasts for about one fill (4 months).

But based on your comments I might just look into your setup.

Surprised not have gotten more comments on this. Is no one using the spa frog mineral stick?

Thanks for your comments, Pup.

Not sure we're using the same product. I have a regular floating dispenser that I put bromine tabs in - not a spa frog product. The spa frog mineral gizmo I'm using is just the "mineral stick" that you put inside your filter. I looked it up - last time I bought it, it was just under $23, basically lasts for about one fill (4 months).

But based on your comments I might just look into your setup.

Surprised not have gotten more comments on this. Is no one using the spa frog mineral stick?

I believe it is the same, just a different delivery systems (filter vs in-line vs. floater):

spafrog_forUseWith.jpg

spa-frog-inline-mineral-cartridge~8448135.jpg