Chlorine Brand, Nothing Else Needed?

Country

Hello. I have a new Marquis Euphoria. Love the spa. It's my first. It has an ozonator.

I had a local spa expert service guy start me out. He filled the spa (I have a private well, rural area). Using the little strip tester, he said it's all good except that I need to add chlorine. He sold me some from Leisuretime. He said the Spa Frog is not necessary.

I used up the Leisuretime chlorine and went to my local spa shop. They sold me GLB Granular Sanitizer for $22. I thought that was high, but I bought it anyway. It says "stabilized chlorinating concentrate granular" so I believe it's the same as the Leisuretime chlorine. I also bought a Spa Frog from them and started using it.

I wonder what the best brand of chlorine to buy. I don't mind buying half a dozen at once. Also, GLB says "Made in China". Something about soaking in chemicals from China puts me off. I've been to China for extended stays. Is it possible to buy American made chlorine?

When adding chlorine, there is a horrible smell right away, and it dissipates. What is that smell? Is it hazardous? Just wondering.

Thanks for your advice.

Hello. I have a new Marquis Euphoria. Love the spa. It's my first. It has an ozonator.

I had a local spa expert service guy start me out. He filled the spa (I have a private well, rural area). Using the little strip tester, he said it's all good except that I need to add chlorine. He sold me some from Leisuretime. He said the Spa Frog is not necessary.

I used up the Leisuretime chlorine and went to my local spa shop. They sold me GLB Granular Sanitizer for $22. I thought that was high, but I bought it anyway. It says "stabilized chlorinating concentrate granular" so I believe it's the same as the Leisuretime chlorine. I also bought a Spa Frog from them and started using it.

I wonder what the best brand of chlorine to buy. I don't mind buying half a dozen at once. Also, GLB says "Made in China". Something about soaking in chemicals from China puts me off. I've been to China for extended stays. Is it possible to buy American made chlorine?

When adding chlorine, there is a horrible smell right away, and it dissipates. What is that smell? Is it hazardous? Just wondering.

Thanks for your advice.

I would read Nitro's guide to water maintenance and follow it.

The best source of unstabilized chlorine is Clorox bleach, but you must use stabilized chlorine (like leisuretime or GLB) at first to build up a residual stabilizer level in your tub. This is described in much detail in Nitro's guide.

Get yourself a good reagent type test kit and you will be all set.