Is Hydrogen Peroxide The Best Way To Lower Chlorine Level?

TXGlenn

I need to clean up some metal stains but read where I need to drop my chlorine to zero. I know chlorine will eventually drop but I'm not getting enough sun to eat up the chlorine this time of year I guess as it isn't going down very much. In any event I want to take care of this metal stuff now. Is hydrogen peroxide the best thing to use? Will I be able to bring it back up without alot of hassle? I have a salt water gunite pool. Thanks

Use sodium thiosulfate. You can get it at the pool store as "Chlorine Neutralizer".

It is a reducing agent, so it may even remove some of the stains by itself. Try some on an iron stain.

Be sure to use some 60 % PolyQuat algaecide to prevent algae while your chlorine is zero.

Hydrogen peroxide will reduce chlorine. However, it is also an oxidizer. If there is any peroxide left over after neutralizing the chlorine, it will oxidize the ascorbic acid*.

*Note: Even though the poster does not say that they are going to do an ascorbic acid treatment, I think it is a safe assumption.