Bull Frog 331 Vs Jacuzzi J-315 Opinions Wanted!

fdm225

Hi all,

I am about to purchase my first used spa (from a dealer) and am looking for opinions on what you think is a better SPA. Let me start out that I am going to wet test both SPAs this weekend but would like to find out, from peoples experience if possible, if there are any other considerations I should take into account before purchasing. So here is what I am looking at:

The first tub is a bull frog 331 3 person spa, this spa is a 2007 floor model (that was around since the costco days) and the dealer states that it has a full manufactures warranty. The tub looks really nice and the jet packs are interesting (but mostly impractical in that I would probably never change them) but I am a little nervous about buying a spa without a circulation pump. I have read most positive reviews of bullfrog but does anyone know anything about the pumps they put in? Will the lack of a circulation pump cause problems in the future? If someone has this tub and could give me a honest review I would really appreciate it! Oh, on a side note this tub is being sold for about ($3000.00 but I have no idea how much they go for new).

The second tub (at a different dealer) is a late 2006 Jacuzzi J-315 that is a dealer trade-in. The dealer is offering a 90 day warranty and a new cover. The tub has a circulation pump and looks to be in excellent condition. Currently the tub is wired for 110 volts but I am assured it can be rewired for 220. Reading up on Jacuzzi, they seem to be solid tubs but I do not know the history. the dealer says that it checks out ok but not knowing what to look for this makes me nervous. Anything I should ask about specifically? The dealer is standing firm at $3500.00 on this tub but is assuring me that this is an excellent tub for the money as it went for about $5500 new.

From what I can find I can't really go wrong with either but it would be great to get some opinions as to what people like and dislike about these tubs.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

As far as a 2007 model having a full manufacturer warranty, I'd ask for that in writing. Many manufacturer's by routine will START the warranty period once the spa reaches a certain "age" even if it has not been purchased (this is usually 1 full year since it was manufactured). That might be something to contact Bullfrog directly if you're not comfortable with the dealer for any reason.

Honestly though, having a "brand new" 2007 model is kind of odd. I suppose it depends on the market you're in, and how quickly your dealer is able to sell spas. But most good dealers don't have many 2 year old "new" models in stock.

Generally speaking, I personally would prefer the Jacuzzi over Bullfrog. I'm just not into the plumbing design and the Jetpak system on Bullfrog's spas. And many chemical/water care customers we have that own Bullfrog's have told us they would have bought a Hot Spring if they could go back in time. It seems to depend on which Jetpaks are installed, and what sized jet pumps. Too small of pumps, with high output Jetpaks can create less than ideal jet strength. That's part of the problem with Bullfrog's "design your own" system. Where as other manufacturers design their spas so that the pre-configured jet selection and pump setup is as close to "optimal" as can be.

You could also request the opportunity to test soak in each spa and see which one is most comfortable to you.