Any Round Tub Fans Or Owners?

spawn

Hello All - First post here.

We came close to buying a very nice square 6+ person tub awhile back after extensive research and wet testing, about $10,000 out the door. We had to postpone our backyard project and so did not buy a tub but now we are moving forward again. The tub will be used by the wife and me 95% of the time but there will be occassions when a couple of friends may join us or when our late teen age children may get in with us or more likely with their friends.

In taking a fresh look we find that we are starting to appreciate the simple versatile inexpensive round tubs. Have any of you very experienced tubbers found that a round tub just won't cut it? Does it meet the need for most of you who have owned them? We don't want a waterfall, stereo or sexy led display (a single light in the tub would be good) and we don't want a lounge. I suppose a circ pump might be nice, but I think I can live with just one, dual speed pump. Frankly, I never met a tub I didn't like but when wet testing the square tubs with molded seating there were some that just didn't seem to fit one of us or there may have been an issue with the jetting. No comfort issues with the round tubs we have been in. The sales people we have talked to say the round tubs are fine, but the more costly tubs have better jetting, more features, in some cases a better warranty.

We have found three round tubs that we are excited about for about $4000, a little less, a little more, depending. A solid local dealer sells Jacuzzi, Sundance and Nordic. They have steered us to the Nordic, saying they make a better tub than the round tubs from Jacuzzi and Sundance. This may be entirely true but it may not be good if they sold round tubs that weren't Nordics. I'll take them at their word - we like the Crown II, tho I have heard some wish it was better insulated.

We are currently leaning toward either A Marquis Envy (have seen some posts on this tub) or a Dimension One Journey because they are better insulated and have more than one seating height. The single level Crown was deep enough for my wife but I like the deeper depth of the Envy and Journey which also have a shallower depth if you are getting warm. They all have a ccol down / step seat and of course, a seat on the rim will do if you are really getting warm but might want to linger. I wouldn't totally rule out a wood tub, but don't really like the idea of the plumbing on the out side, outboard heater / pump. Sorry for the long post - does anyone have any thoughts - agree, disagree - good/bad experiences w/ round tubs? Thanks!

Wow..they still make them?!

I owned a 6 foot diameter wooden barrel in the early 80's...After college and prior to marraige, I lived with 4 guys renting a large home..we pooled our money and essentially custom built a hot tub. We found a used pump, and bought a propane heater....its not rocket science...by any means, in fact, its some of the simplest plumbing one can do. We used the tub for years and it was a great ice breaker for meeting girls!

We only had 3 jets.

upside is it simple! (this is a downside to some folks) We never missed the molded seats or extravagent jet systems. Less crap to maintain and go bad. easy to repair when something does act up.

Downside is it WILL seep water through the boards, not leak proof like a modern fiberglass tub.

Oh by the way I did check out Costco - they are selling an AquaTerra round tub for $2499. This is about $600 less than the cheapest option i am considering, a Marquis Envy floor model. At this point I prefer the Envy for a combination of reasons. Price of Envy includes installation and fire up at my site, instead of curb drop. Warranty is better - both have lifetime on structure, all else favors Envy with 7 yr vs 5yr on shell, 5yr vs 1 yr parts & labor. Only signal level seating on Eternity and don't know how it would work since it is only available on-line and I can't see it or sit in it until I unwrap it at my house. Envy dealer will help me with chemistry - maybe not a big deal but they'll offer initial advice based on water test. Told 'em I didn't want a bromine floater and they will set me up with chlorine if I want.

Still have not made a choice, will do so in spring while getting back yard ready.