Ice On Cedar Steps

canucker

Could you guys please tell me how you de-ice your hot tub entry steps? I don't want to use anything that's going to get dragged into the spa (chemical wise), but I really need something that's going to make the steps safe during the winter. This morning there's ice on the steps for the first time... :(

Could you guys please tell me how you de-ice your hot tub entry steps? I don't want to use anything that's going to get dragged into the spa (chemical wise), but I really need something that's going to make the steps safe during the winter. This morning there's ice on the steps for the first time... :(

We have used non slip tape on our steps at home and it does the trick fine.

See an example below on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-Safety-Walk-Non-S...=item3a55021ef6

• 1 month later...

We have wonderfull weather here in Northern Ohio and have addressed this issue with our spa customers many times. In reality, the towel idea does not work because while your in the spa, water gets splashed on your steps and when you step out, BOOM. We have a commercial carpet that we cut to size and give to your customers for free to drape tightly over the steps during the winter months. In reality, you will never be able to beat the elements without enclosing the spa.

Not just one towel, keep several on-hand. Drape one on when you use the tub and remove it when done. Get 'em cheap on sale somewhere, it's not like the color or pattern matters all that much. Better to have a couple of them on hand than expecting one to stay there and not get iced up too. That's what we've done for years and it's worked out fine. I could see where splashed water could freeze up. But we just don't splash that much, or onto the steps, to have that problem.

I usually flip my steps over, or set them on their side. The ice accumulates on the bottom instead of the top of the steps. Then just flip them into position when you plan to use the tub.

This is a good idea. My latest problem is that it's so jokin' cold that the water freezes on the steps while I'm IN the hot tub for 30 minutes or so. I thought about getting one of the anti-freeze electrical lines for pipes and tack it to the bottom of the stairs.

I usually flip my steps over, or set them on their side. The ice accumulates on the bottom instead of the top of the steps. Then just flip them into position when you plan to use the tub.

This is a good idea. My latest problem is that it's so jokin' cold that the water freezes on the steps while I'm IN the hot tub for 30 minutes or so. I thought about getting one of the anti-freeze electrical lines for pipes and tack it to the bottom of the stairs.

I don't like the idea of any electrical heater near water. I would be too afraid of an electrical shock when getting out of the tub. I'm going to be trying the towel idea myself. Even though the towel might get wet and freeze, it would still provide some traction. I like to try the simple solutions first.

I don't like the idea of any electrical heater near water. I would be too afraid of an electrical shock when getting out of the tub. I'm going to be trying the towel idea myself. Even though the towel might get wet and freeze, it would still provide some traction. I like to try the simple solutions first.

The towel idea is working fine for me...temperatures last week were -25 at night, during soak time. Of course I don't leave the towel there after I'm out of the tub....just put it down on entry. Cheap, simple and safe!