Borates

cofive

Maintaining ~50 ppm borates in your tub will stabilize your pH (inhibit pH rise) and will also make your water feel softer.

There are 3 commonly used sources of borates: 20 Mule Team Borax, Boric Acid and ProTeam's Gentle Spa. Only Borax will significantly increase your pH and require the addition of acid to compensate.

I'd go with Boric Acid or ProTeam's Gentle Spa to avoid having to compensate for the large rise in pH with the addition of Borax. Boric Acid and Gentle Spa will achieve the same results, but the Boric Acid will be much cheaper.

Maintaining ~50 ppm borates in your tub will stabilize your pH (inhibit pH rise) and will also make your water feel softer.

There are 3 commonly used sources of borates: 20 Mule Team Borax, Boric Acid and ProTeam's Gentle Spa. Only Borax will significantly increase your pH and require the addition of acid to compensate.

I'd go with Boric Acid or ProTeam's Gentle Spa to avoid having to compensate for the large rise in pH with the addition of Borax. Boric Acid and Gentle Spa will achieve the same results, but the Boric Acid will be much cheaper.

Thanks Mike. Do borates have any real affect on the skin? I was looking for something to lessen the drying affect of many hot tub dips.

Ken

Thanks Mike. Do borates have any real affect on the skin? I was looking for something to lessen the drying affect of many hot tub dips.

I don't know if adding borates (e.g. boric acid) will have any noticable effect on dry skin. There are some potential benefits. According to wiseGEEK "Boric acid also has a number of medicinal uses. It works as a mild antiseptic, and it can be effective in the treatment of some skin conditions such as acne and mild rashes. Boric acid also works on yeast and fungal infections, and, in a diluted form, it can be used as an eyewash.".

I don't know if adding borates (e.g. boric acid) will have any noticable effect on dry skin. There are some potential benefits. According to wiseGEEK "Boric acid also has a number of medicinal uses. It works as a mild antiseptic, and it can be effective in the treatment of some skin conditions such as acne and mild rashes. Boric acid also works on yeast and fungal infections, and, in a diluted form, it can be used as an eyewash.".

Yup - vet prescribed a mild boric acid eye-wash for my dog's bacterial infection. The pharmacy sells it at an analgesic and antiseptic for minor cuts and burns.

FYI: In an eye wash solution, the Boric Acid concentration is around 15,000 ppm (1.5%) compared to the 50 ppm used in the spa.

I tried Gentle spa and put appropriate amount in newly filled tub. I love the way the water felt, now it has been a few weeks and the water feels normal. Is it necessary to have to keep adding a borate product to keep water silky? Will tub filters trap some of the borates in them; I have a Sundance 880 with the new two stage micro ban filter? Just wondering

I have been following this post and this past weekend added Borax to bring up my Borate to 28 ppm based on the pool calculator. Is there any minimum level I should exceed to get the proper benifits? Adding the Borax caused the pool to go a little cloudy and is this normal? . All of my water balance parameters are good as follows:

FC 2-3 with SWG and Ozone

PH 7.4 - 7.6 adjusted down at 7.8 to 7.4 steady PH over several days

TA Steady at 70 until I added Borax and some fresh water at the same time. Went up to 80. My fresh water is 220.

CH 210 unitil I added more water now 220.

CYA estimated at 35 based on pool calculator and weights of Dichlor

Borates 28 from pool calculator

CSI +.1 TO -.3 usually between -.1 and -.3

What should be used to get rid of a slightly cloudy condition?

I tried Gentle spa and put appropriate amount in newly filled tub. I love the way the water felt, now it has been a few weeks and the water feels normal. Is it necessary to have to keep adding a borate product to keep water silky? Will tub filters trap some of the borates in them; I have a Sundance 880 with the new two stage micro ban filter? Just wondering

The Borates shouldn't dissipate. They would normally only get removed from physical dilution (carry-out). Perhaps you are just getting used to the nicer feel or something else is happening in the water to compensate for the initial feel from the borates.

I have been following this post and this past weekend added Borax to bring up my Borate to 28 ppm based on the pool calculator. Is there any minimum level I should exceed to get the proper benifits? Adding the Borax caused the pool to go a little cloudy and is this normal? . All of my water balance parameters are good as follows:

FC 2-3 with SWG and Ozone

PH 7.4 - 7.6 adjusted down at 7.8 to 7.4 steady PH over several days

TA Steady at 70 until I added Borax and some fresh water at the same time. Went up to 80. My fresh water is 220.

CH 210 unitil I added more water now 220.

CYA estimated at 35 based on pool calculator and weights of Dichlor

Borates 28 from pool calculator

CSI +.1 TO -.3 usually between -.1 and -.3

What should be used to get rid of a slightly cloudy condition?

50 ppm Borates will increase the TA by about 5 ppm so measuring a rise of 10 ppm is in that ballpark. Normally, the borates won't make the water cloudy except initially as it dissolves. Usually the target amount for the Borates is 50 ppm. Let us know if the slight cloudiness continues.

50 ppm boric acid is about 450g for 1500 litre spa according to the pool calculator. Is this the sort a weight we should add?

I added 17.2 oz of Gentle Spa to my 450 gallon spa based on the pool calculator's boric acid calculation. That converts to about 430g / 1500 liters. So, 450g looks about right.