Pump Leak

ryantr

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5835/p1010544r.jpg

Is this a pump shaft seal leak....you can actualyl see the water shooting out by where the white strip is.

Only comes out when jets are on....\

If it is a seal...how to i go about fixing it?

That is a seal leak. from the looks of it been leaking for awhile. Pull the pump, remove the front cover to gain access to impeller. You somehow have to hold the motor shaft from spinning, The rear of the motor should have a cap covering the the motor shaft. The shaft should have a slot in it to hold with a big screwdriver. While holding the shaft try to unscrew the impeller. This looks like a waterways pump which is a real pain to remove impellers.

If the pump does not run quiet the front bearing is rusting and then I would replace the entire pump with the same horsepower and voltage

Wow thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. It doesnt seem too bad so where do i get the seal from? also, how much would it be to just replace the whole pump. It doesnt seem to loud but i really dont know how loud it shold be

Seal are available from any pool spa store or online. If the pumps run without a screeching sound, the motor should ok. Prices for pumps range a great deal starting around $279.00. If you want to go that way make sure it is replaced with same horsepower and voltage. Also pipe connection 1.5 or 2 inch.

From the pic It looked like a Waterways, without a better pic I am not sure, but the seal would be a ps1000 or as1000

Wow thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. It doesnt seem too bad so where do i get the seal from? also, how much would it be to just replace the whole pump. It doesnt seem to loud but i really dont know how loud it shold be

Seal are available from any pool spa store or online. If the pumps run without a screeching sound, the motor should ok. Prices for pumps range a great deal starting around $279.00. If you want to go that way make sure it is replaced with same horsepower and voltage. Also pipe connection 1.5 or 2 inch.

From the pic It looked like a Waterways, without a better pic I am not sure, but the seal would be a ps1000 or as1000

Sounds great thanks again so much for the help. I will post a picture of the whole pump tonight if that will help.