Another Leak In My Coleman Spa! Air Intake Backing Up?

elkski

The wife likes a spa so much that I am sure she will want a new one ASAP when I finally declare this one DOA. Most handymen would have done so by now.

This 10 year old or so coleman spa I picked up used has been an overall good experience despite the recent new motor and pump and several pump seal jobs and I have replaced all the jets as they were wore out. I have fixed several air jet leaks where it appears the thousands of blower cycles finally took its toll on the elbow fittings and they crack and leak. In fact before winter set in I did a search and found one leaking. I fixed this one by just cutting off 3/4" and using a real hose clamp while the wifely sat in the tub and plugged the hole with a body part.. There was a lightning strike that took out the main board and so I now have a balboa topside which is far inferior to the old coleman as it wont run the outside lights and wont allow individual 2 speed control of the pumps.

Now for the current problem.

Wifey noticed a drop[ of water by about an inch so in the last 2 weeks so on this sunny day I decided to take a side panel off and take a look. The trouble is that water is backing up and out the air intake vent hole when the pump is on and the vent valve is open. The level is about 4-5" above the water line so this has me somewhat puzzled.

I can stop or the slow the leak to nothing by having the valve shut which is where we normally keep it anyway.

Where do these air intakes and the jets meet.

By the way this air intake valve is just another example of how these spas are built to be disposable. The manifold with 8 nipples is glued into the topside panel mount so replacing this valve would be a botch if possible but I dont see where the valve is failing unless there is some kind of check valve built in that is leaking but still something is causing some back pressure.???

This is being caused by a faulty jet. The air vent leads directly to the jets, where air is drawn in by a natural venturi action of the jets. One of more jets is faulty, either a bad o ring or internal seal, causing the pressurized water to back up out the valve.

Well about half of the jets were closed and opening them stopped the problem. This problem still has me stumped as even if you close all the jets there should be some sort of check valve or something to stop this from happening. For now I can live with this issue and should be able to survive the winter. We do need to start looking for a newer spa but I think the sticker shock will be bad like 8k or something.

• 2 weeks later...