Help Us Choose: Jacuzzi, Marquis, Bullfrog, Beachcomber

rtetu

I brought forward an important difference between the two models which; when the buyer is spending thousands of $$$ they should be thinking about it.

My point was that the length of warranty is not related in any way to the manufacturer's faith in their product (or quality which is another occasional statement I see though you didn't say that) so don't take it personally, that is a mistake repeated often on this site and I was responding in general to this occasional slip I see made. Otherwise your comparisons seem to be factual.

I sort of agree with this, but it draws a conclusion that you can't really draw in general.

The length of the warranty COULD be based strictly on price point, but it might also reflect higher projected warranty costs due to differences in quality. We hear time and time again that budget spas must necesarily use lower grade components to meet their price point, so it seems unlikely that the same rules wouldn't apply to a manufacturer offering an in-house value line. If the budget spa does in fact use lesser grade parts, have fewer quality inspection steps, or whatever, it may well have a higher failure rate. The manufacturer prices warranty just like he prices everything else... with due consideration given to his cost, target margin, etc. Unless you as a consumer know what's in the tub, it is every bit as erroneous to assume that the quality is the same as it would be to assume that the budget tub is worse than its high end sibling. I would ask some questions and make sure that you understand what you're getting... in the final assessment, that's the only way you're going to know. For instance, is the shell construction the same? Bring a scale or caliper and if possible, measure shell thickness. Look at the motor(s). Are the jet pump motors smaller (48 frame, for instance, compared to 56 frame used in most better spas) and, do the motors use Class F insulation or the less expensive Class B insulation? Is the heater the same quality ("no fault" v. standard) etc. You should be doing all this anyway during your shopping, since the sales people usually won't volunteer any of this sort of information.

It's really fruitless to try to infer product quality between different manufacturers based on warranty. There are just too many variables that led the manufacturer to offer the warranty they offer. As a consumer, you can't know their strtategy, costs, margins, etc to allow a consumer to make sense of it. But, nevertheless, the longer warranty is essentially an insurance policy.... some people like to carry more insurance than others.

You are the only one that can decide how important warranty is to you. For example, I like perimeter spas because they're easy for me to repair - I seldom call service people to fix anything! The only warranty item I generally pay attention to is the shell warranty (shell surface much more than the shell structure) - because that is a very serious problem that often can't really be fixed very effectively. If your choices are full foam spas, there are some repairs that could be a pain, so the longer warranty on plumbing and leaking might be a good thing and well worth it to you.

hello Firemedic (I am not a pro, butI am a volunteer firefighter, 26 years overall, 21 with my current fire district.)

Being a volunteer FF doesn't mean you are "not professional". I'm fortunate to be career now after 13 years as a volunteer. Rtetu, you are too humble, don't sell yourself short! Volunteer FF's are the backbone on the North American fire service, over 90% I believe. :)

Back on topic... good luck with spa purchase!

hello Firemedic (I am not a pro, butI am a volunteer firefighter, 26 years overall, 21 with my current fire district.)

Being a volunteer FF doesn't mean you are "not professional". I'm fortunate to be career now after 13 years as a volunteer. Rtetu, you are too humble, don't sell yourself short! Volunteer FF's are the backbone on the North American fire service, over 90% I believe. :)

Back on topic... good luck with spa purchase!

Well, thanks to all who helped.

We pulled the trigger and purchased the jacuzzi J-365. I will install a 60Amp entrance, even though I can't find in the preinstallation manual how to change the jumpers for using the 60 amp configuration. Now I have to build the deck: 8 inch on center 2X6 PT lumber for joists, with Sunwood 2X4 on top, with a 6'8" span between footings (leftover from the doublewide we lived in while I built the log home). I have a 15 foot trench from the old 200 amp entrance, where I will install the Spa cut-off with GFCI. When will I find the time to do this, I wonder...

Any hints, I'll listen. Now I have to go to fire meeting: SCBA quarterly test.

Congrats on your purchase. We're new to hot tubs as well and have looked at Sundance and Beachcomber. Does anyone know if $5600 is a good price for a Beachcomber 360 hybrid. It includes the powerguard heatshield cover, lift n store cover lifter and delivery. Thanks

Better than I could get, that's for sure.

Did you sit in it? My wife and I found it well built, but uncomfortable in comparison to HS and Jacuzzi.