Ozonator Causes Ph Drift Up.

Fungi

Hi all,

I had a pretty difficult time figuring out why my PH was climbing. Every three days I had to add PH down to keep it below 7.9. I finally found out what was causing it! A long time ago the ozonator stopped working. I called the repair guy and he came to fix it. He removed a little plastic "restrictor" inline with the output of the ozonator. He told me he was told this is "ok" with the management because my tub was not enclosed in a room. Boy was this a big mistake! With the restrictor removed the bubbles were much larger, a BIG difference. As we all learn here running air jets causes PH to rise. I complained and got them to send me a new restrictor and I installed it. Here is the bottom line...

After I replaced the restrictor I have not had to add PH down in 22 days!

Here's my numbers! I'm very proud of them...

Temp = 103

PH = 7.6

Alk = 70

CH = 200

CYA = 21

SI = +0.16

I'm following the famous ChemGeek / Nitro bleach method.

My only problem now is CC. I have "shocked" twice with 1/2 cap full of spa shock, but the CC has never gone below 1.2! I have not tried bleach shock cause we use the tub every day, and I don't want to miss not a single day. I'm adding about 6 ounces bleach each night to cover the tubs demand and our nightly dip. The Chlorine is reading around 3ppm when we use it.

I've come so far. I'm nearly there. Can anyone help me understand this CC junk.

Is the Spa Shock, MPS (ie Non-Chlorine Shock)? If so it will read as Combined Chlorine. My advice is to forget about CC, if your water doesn't have a strong Chlorine odor. I only check my CC once a month or less, and it's always under 1 ppm. As long as you keep your FC above zero at ALL times, and your Chlorine Demand (CD) low, you should have no problems.

Is the Spa Shock, MPS (ie Non-Chlorine Shock)? If so it will read as Combined Chlorine. My advice is to forget about CC, if your water doesn't have a strong Chlorine odor. I only check my CC once a month or less, and it's always under 1 ppm. As long as you keep your FC above zero at ALL times, and your Chlorine Demand (CD) low, you should have no problems.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing. Just not on purpose. lol Well at least I mastered the saturation index... 8) Thanks for the reply.