Cover Hold Downs

Mackenzie3

So I am curious how everyone holds their cover to the spa. On my Sundance it has small latches that you screw to the side of the tub and the cover snaps in. The guys who delivered the spa said that for liability they will not install them. And the service guy suggested that since we have high wind sometimes I drill into the concrete and install my own straps to hold it down because the latches on the cover are not good for much but child proofing.

My spa has those latches screwed into the side, but I never use them. My spa is outside, but is sitting under an enclosed deck. The wind blows through there, but the cover hasn't ever come off on a windy day.

Dave

The latches depend a lot on the quality of the covers construction, and how they're sewn into the cover. They can be done quick and cheap, in which case they will just barely meet the ASTM standards for a safety cover (preventing children under the age of 5 from entry), or with a little more effort they can be done to withstand a hurricane (seriously, we had covers stay on spas in New Orleans).