Buying The Taylor K-2006 In Canada

OttawaGreg

I am looking to buy the Taylor K-2006 kit here in Ottawa Canada and have found it on-line for around $150. It sells in the U.S. for $55. What gives? (Our dollar is almost at par now)

I am going to Boston next week and could buy one but what will customs say about all those liquids in my checked bag? I guess it should be fine and perhaps all I would need to do is pay the duty? Anybody have experience with this?

Greg

Taylor has a single master distributor in Canada who marks up the product cost. Buying the product in Boston and bringing it over is your best bet. The lowest online price for the Taylor K-2006 I know of is here, but I don't think they will ship to Canada.

Taylor has a single master distributor in Canada who marks up the product cost. Buying the product in Boston and bringing it over is your best bet. The lowest online price for the Taylor K-2006 I know of is here, but I don't think they will ship to Canada.

Found out its the customs cost of bringing it over the border as its a controlled substance, well at least some part of it is.

What I'm wondering is should I a) place the kit in a checked bag or B) take the liquids out and put them into a ziplock bag.

As a whole kit in a luggage and being a controlled substance they may not like it. Broken out and placed in the clear plastic bag with my toothpaste might go easier, provided they are not over the allotted 100ml x 10 (1 Litre) liquid maximum. I will see if I can find the details on all liquids.

thanks,

Greg

Found out its the customs cost of bringing it over the border as its a controlled substance, well at least some part of it is.

What I'm wondering is should I a) place the kit in a checked bag or B) take the liquids out and put them into a ziplock bag.

As a whole kit in a luggage and being a controlled substance they may not like it. Broken out and placed in the clear plastic bag with my toothpaste might go easier, provided they are not over the allotted 100ml x 10 (1 Litre) liquid maximum. I will see if I can find the details on all liquids.

thanks,

Greg

Why don't you just ship them ups??? No need to tell them what's in there.

thanks,

Greg

I would guess they will x-ray the package and then send it to customs, then I get to pay a whopping bill just to get my package which I've already paid for the contents.

They do look in packages right, otherwise the drug traffickers would be all over this.. if it's too easy there is a reason...

thanks,

Greg

I would guess they will x-ray the package and then send it to customs, then I get to pay a whopping bill just to get my package which I've already paid for the contents.

They do look in packages right, otherwise the drug traffickers would be all over this.. if it's too easy there is a reason...

You seriously think they are gonna xray your package?

How the drug thing works is much, much simpler.....they have dogs that randomly run through the UPS distribution points stiffing all the packages going on the trucks that day. When a dog hits on it, then they take a closer look. Typically this is the responsibility of your local law enforcement to do at the distribution warehouse in your locale.

I used to get absinthe and other things via USPS certified all the time.....yes....I even had to go to the post office and sign for them.....nerve wracking...but never a problem.

I wouldnt worry at all.

The reference that chem geek gives for buying the kit contains this:

Note: Orders can only be shipped within the continental U.S.

Perhaps you could call a UPS store in the US and ask them how much it would cost to receive a package for you and then forward it to you. Give the UPS store's address on the order form and pay with a credit card.

Thanks for the idea. I checked the UPS store and below are the details on delivery. The cost estimate BTW was $16. Not bad, but I don't like the part about "rates don't include customs, brokerage" or "Not available to ship any prohibited articles outside the U.S."

Still thinking this over.

Greg

>>clip>>

UPS Standard to Canada

Guaranteed Day-definite Delivery to Canada

UPS Standard to Canada offers guaranteed, fully tracked ground delivery for your routine shipments.

* Guaranteed, fully tracked, door-to-door ground delivery from the 48 contiguous states to all addresses in the 10 Canadian provinces

Service Availability

* Available in the 48 contiguous states for delivery to all delivery addresses in the 10 Canadian provinces

* Rates do not include customs clearance

* Brokerage charges, duties, and taxes will be billed to importer unless otherwise indicated by shipper

* Government regulations require export documentation for most international shipments

* Not available to ship any prohibited articles outside the U.S.

For specific guarantee details and service availability, visit your neighborhood The UPS Store location.

Benefits

* Up-to-the-minute tracking information makes UPS Standard to Canada an economical choice for your routine shipments

* Reliable service to all addresses in Canada’s 10 provinces from the 48 contiguous states

* Three free delivery attempts for unclaimed shipments

* Automatic protection against package loss or damage up to a value of US$100

Don't worry about it.

A taylor test kit is the least of customs worries.

I can virtually guarantee you will not have any trouble. B)

And if you do...so what....oh my GOD!!! I accidentally bought a kit over the internet and didnt know it was a restricted item in Canada.

Good luck..you will be fine.

Don't worry about it.

And if you do...so what....oh my GOD!!! I accidentally bought a kit over the internet and didnt know it was a restricted item in Canada.

All right Bart, no worries. I will buy the kit and bring it back in my luggage. Did a quick search for pool supplies near where I will be in Massachusetts and came up with this; Leslies Swimming Pool Supplies. They have a kit that looks like a Taylor knock-off. Or maybe it's just a re-branding.

Take a look -> http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Wat...:400000/I/81330

Don't worry about it.

All right Bart, no worries. I will buy the kit and bring it back in my luggage. Did a quick search for pool supplies near where I will be in Massachusetts and came up with this; Leslies Swimming Pool Supplies. They have a kit that looks like a Taylor knock-off. Or maybe it's just a re-branding.

Looks like rebranding to me....in the meantime I came up with a great story.

You can say you have OCD about pools, and when you travel you always bring your own kit with to test the water before you get in....just put a few drops of water in your mixing tubes to make it look like you used it.

Who can argue with that??? Funny...I just made myself laugh!

Don't worry about it.

Looks like rebranding to me....in the meantime I came up with a great story.

You can say you have OCD about pools, and when you travel you always bring your own kit with to test the water before you get in....just put a few drops of water in your mixing tubes to make it look like you used it.

Who can argue with that??? Funny...I just made myself laugh!

You crack me up :D The hotel I'm staying at does have a pool....

The Leslie's kit that is the rebranding of the Taylor K-2006 is the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit though you can get the Taylor K-2006 online here for less (or the TF100 here which has 36% more volume of reagents so is less expensive per test). Unfortunately, most pool stores don't carry the Taylor K-2006 or rebranded versions in stock.

With my limited time here in Boston on work I got to Leslie's Pool Supplies finally and bought the kit they recommended and had in stock. They didn't have the one on the website I wanted and thought was the re-brand of the k-2006.

It looks just like the k-2006 kit but is missing (as far as I can tell) the wheel and paper manual. I am not sure if there are any other difference here but I did notice the higher price kit mentioned something about using .75 reagents for more accuracy. ??

When I look at the bottles they are manufactured by Taylor and are 0.75 oz (22 ml). 14 in total - 3 yellow, 3-red, 3-blue, 3-green and 2 white [r1-r14]. The sales guy mentioned I can just buy the full litre bottles after to refill these later and save $$.

There are 14 bottles of solution, the color coded test vile, two measured beakers and a capped bottle.

It is called the Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit and tests for;

Free & Total Chlorine (bromine)

pH

Acid & Base demand

Total Alkalinity

Calcium Hardness

Cyanuric Acid

It cost $42.00

I am hoping that noting critical is missing here.

Greg