Repairing Leaks

stevestk

I'm making my first attempt at repairing a leak and could use some guidance. In the included picture there is a pink hose going into a tee which leads to a jet. The leak appears to be where the hose connects to the tee. How is this connected? Glue? Solvent weld. How would you repair this. What if I would need to add some hose.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/s...tk/IMG_0238.jpg

I'm making my first attempt at repairing a leak and could use some guidance. In the included picture there is a pink hose going into a tee which leads to a jet. The leak appears to be where the hose connects to the tee. How is this connected? Glue? Solvent weld. How would you repair this. What if I would need to add some hose.

If you can get the area around where it is leaking completely clean and it is easily accessible you can use an epoxy type material to seal the glue joint leak. The only thing I would recommend is Aquabond (brand name) or the devcon epoxy that Watkins sells (HotSpring). I have used these materials probably 600 times over the last ten years with no problems.

There may be others that work but I have seen many people come into the store with parts in their hand that have "insert brand name here" gooped up around a crack or glue joint and it didn't work.

The only other way would be to replace the set of fittings that are leaking. Due to the close proximity of the jets in the picture, it is easier to replace the tee, 90 degree elbow, and both of those jets all together.

If you can get the area around where it is leaking completely clean and it is easily accessible you can use an epoxy type material to seal the glue joint leak. The only thing I would recommend is Aquabond (brand name) or the devcon epoxy that Watkins sells (HotSpring). I have used these materials probably 600 times over the last ten years with no problems.

There may be others that work but I have seen many people come into the store with parts in their hand that have "insert brand name here" gooped up around a crack or glue joint and it didn't work.

The only other way would be to replace the set of fittings that are leaking. Due to the close proximity of the jets in the picture, it is easier to replace the tee, 90 degree elbow, and both of those jets all together.

Thanks for the info. Do dealers sell the Devcon? Where can I get the Aquabond and is there a specific product name? Is the hose solvent-welded to the fitting. Is it possible to remove the hose from the fitting?

if you don't want to do it again, just replace the fitting. that pink hose used to be white pvc flex. and used to be smooth not with ribs. it simply shrunk by the efects of the ozone injected in the water,,, you have an ozone right???

anyways, just cut the leaky fitting and glue a new one. good luck!

if you don't want to do it again, just replace the fitting. that pink hose used to be white pvc flex. and used to be smooth not with ribs. it simply shrunk by the efects of the ozone injected in the water,,, you have an ozone right???

I hope this isn't a dumb question but if I cut out the fitting won't the remaining hose be too short?

Just a quick note that the spaflex hose does have the ribs when new.

yes, you would need more hose and couplings to repair it. also you might want to use a low VOC pvc glue,, I recommend the gray glue. it will seal those ribs on that old hose.

Do you know a good source for parts? Will anything come apart? (Will I have to replace everything including the jets?)

yes, it's called fix-a-leak, and it does work if you have a very small leak e.i. 1" per week or so,,, but if the leak is spraying water, it will not stop it.

Hi Rusty,

thanks for the response! So this may be a dumb question but do you know how that stuff works? I don't understand how it could find the leak and seal it and not affect any tubing for clogging any jets??

Thanks,

hottublady

I do not know exactly how it works, but the explanation I got from my "master" is that it works kind of how the blood seals a leak when you cut yourself. the liquid starts to seal the leak little by little until it plugs the pin hole, that is why it does not work on big leaks.... it's kinda hard for me to explain, I guess i watch to much Discovery channel..

Just a quick note that the spaflex hose does have the ribs when new.

They do, but you can not feel them, until 4-5 years later when the ozone shrinks the softer areas in the hose, then you can also see them

yes, you would need more hose and couplings to repair it. also you might want to use a low VOC pvc glue,, I recommend the gray glue. it will seal those ribs on that old hose.

Do you know a good source for parts? Will anything come apart? (Will I have to replace everything including the jets?)

I get my parts from www.easyspaparts.com they are local for me.. by the way,, is your spa a Dimension one?

Is there a single spot were you can definitely see the water coming from and is it easily accessible? If so you can use the Devcon epoxy that I described. No reason to use a fix a leak product when you actually know where the water is coming from.

If you want to replace the jets then I have found it much easier to replace the whole series of jets then to cut out the bad fitting and try to couple in to it. There simply just isn't enough room there to do it.

If you see where the glue joint is leaking, the easiest repair is to use an adhesive to fix it.

Is there a single spot were you can definitely see the water coming from and is it easily accessible? If so you can use the Devcon epoxy that I described. No reason to use a fix a leak product when you actually know where the water is coming from.

If you want to replace the jets then I have found it much easier to replace the whole series of jets then to cut out the bad fitting and try to couple in to it. There simply just isn't enough room there to do it.

If you see where the glue joint is leaking, the easiest repair is to use an adhesive to fix it.

It's definitely leaking at the fitting. Can I get the Devcon from any Hotsprings dealer?