Mps Levels, Mps Use

synapse8888

When I started using the tub, I followed Nitro's post on water maintenance, and used MPS occasionally when I felt the need (didn't really know what I was doing though).

However now, there are times I want to use it, but when I take a reading with a MPS Test Strip (linked below) it usually appears on the high side, so I hold off...and it's been like that for at least a month.

Do I need to worry about MPS levels? Does the stuff really stick around that long? I tend to only use the tub a couple times a week (and usually its only me), and thats after tennis so i would think i "dirty up" the water enough for the residual MPS to get used up... I keep FC levels around 2-4ppm (and I do use ProClear Nature2) on average, but I thought the MPS should act on some of that stuff before the chlorine.

I have a Taylor test kit, but it doesn't seem to have a MPS test. Is there some other test I should be doing instead of the strips? Do I even need to use MPS given the relatively low use of the tub? Is there a post detailing the pros vs cons of using MPS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AquaChek-Monopersulfat...4#ht_1033wt_898

Thanks for any info!

That's the first I've heard of MPS test strips... personally, I shock once every week or two with a couple of ounces of MPS... I think you may be over-thinking it a bit in this case. Since you use it infrequently, I would throw in 2 ounces every two weeks and be done with it, as long as your FC levels aren't tanking that should be sufficient.

The only time you would need to measure MPS is if you're using the Nature 2 system without Chlorine. In that case you need MPS in the tub at all times. If you're using Chlorine, as long as Chlorine is above zero you're ok. Then you can use MPS to help out with oxidation during/after high bather loads, and/or to lower CD and CC. As Vermonter said, a (bi)weekly dose can't hurt.