Skin Problems

Chuck99z28

I've had a Cal Spa tub for about 6 years now and I didn't think I had a problem with chemistry. When I first got it, I checked the chemistry weekly and it seemed like the first month of fresh water it didn't change much, but then as the water got older I'd have to use shock more and more. So I'd change the water. After a while I just got into a routine of "knowing" when to add shock and when I "sensed" the water needed changing, I'd change it.

I use the tub every day for about 15 mins -- because of a sore back. It really helps that. First thing in the morning when I get up.

About two years ago I started having a problem with the skin on top of my hands. Dry cracking skin, which would get sort of infected if I scratched it. I saw a doctor and he said it was dry skin.

This year, it go much worst... Around January. I have pictures if anyone wants to see them.

In April I went into surgery for a colonectomy and I was in the hospital for 9 days and couldn't use the tub for a month. My hands cleared up. When I started using the tub again in June, the problem returned. I couldn't figure out what caused that. i didn't eat for 10 days and was on IVs in the hospital. So I thought maybe food?

So today I decided to gather materials and I'm going to do Nitro's Super Shock, replace all the pillows, new filters and switch to Nature2 for chemicals. (The cover is only a year old and in good shape.)

Do you think this will fix my skin problem?

Do you think this will fix my skin problem?

No one can know for sure, but it can't hurt! Just remember, the Deconamination procedure is only the first step. The next step is to KEEP your tub sanitized. Read the Maintenance link below for the proper way to maintain your water using Chlorine. Also, read the link about Chlorine Demand (CD). The key is to keep Free Chlorine (FC) above zero at all times, and CD as low as possible (i.e. your baseline). If you do this you tub should be safe. However, there is a chance you could have a senitivity to the chemicals, hot water or the jets.

Ok,

I was using bromine before all this started.

I removed all the pillows, filters and filter cover and tossed them. I have new ones on order.

I also purchased the Nature2 inserts, and other chemicals (Diclor, MPS Shock, System Flush. They arrived Saturday.

Earlier last week, I shocked the tub off the scale with the old bromine shock I had very hard and let it run all week.

Saturday I added the System Flush and ran all the jets on high for 30 mins. Then let it sit overnight.

This morning, fiist I scrubbed the top with Spa Surface Cleaner. The top is only about a year old and in good shape.

Then I drained it, cleaned all the gunk off the water line, power washed it, then vacuumed it out with a wet vac.

I removed and washed/scrubbed all the nozzle knobs and scrubbed with a brush the water line and under the neck jets with spa surface cleaner.

I filled it, ran it for 30 mins, then drained it and cleaned it again with the power washer and vacuumed it out again.

Now I'm filling it, using a Pre-Fresh Spa & Pool Water Fill Filter.

While filling I used a new Taylor K-2006 Test kit from water sampled from a half full spa.

I use city water, in Virginia. It comes from a nearby river.

I got the following measurements.

PA 8.0

TA 95 ppm

CH 95 ppm

FC 0.5 ppm

CC 2.5 ppm

I read Nitro's information, and went to the pool calculator.

But I'm a little confused

The calculator says I should add washing soda (0.8 oz).

But according to Nitro's info my TA and CH are low? And PH is high?

Is just adding the washing soda all I should do?

Chuck

Ok, an update.

Now I added the Nature2 cartridge and the Diclor (2 TBLS) to wake it up.

Several hours later the tests tell me

PH 7.2

TA 110 ppm

CH 100 ppm

FC 4.4 ppm

CC .2 ppm

I believe I have a 500 gallon Cal Spa (6 person). But I'm not 100% sure how much it holds.

This is at 98 degress. I'm going to 101 degreess

What about these numbers?