Newb - 1 Month And Experiencing Scumline

cbb77

Ok, I'd had my new Caldera tub for about a month now. All has been well till about now. Currently I am seeing what I believe is scumline develop along part of the wall. I've cleaned it and it appears to be reappearing. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am currently using Bromine thru the inline SpaFrog available on the spa. Bromine levels were great in the beginning, however now are recording a little high. I plan to empty the water a little and refill to correct this (this is what I read as best method to get back in sync). Additionally my Total Alkalinity is a little low, but I've added alkalinity increaser to correct this as well. All other measurements are within recommended levels. I've been using Leisure Time chemicals and have been following their recommended weekly schedule of adding Enzyme, Bright Clear and Defender; thus I am stumped as to what is causing the scumline. I recently even added a floating scumbug but am still seeing the line develop. Beyond draining completely does anyone have any advise on what may be causing this and how to avoid going forward?

Thanks

I have not heard that new tubs secrete oils from plastics.

I have heard new tubs tend to get extra heavy use and tend to need early draining.

Do you have anything to document the oil secreting issue?

Documentation is clearly not needed...you have proof that a problem exists with your water.

Supporting documentation would be simply academic.

I have not heard that new tubs secrete oils from plastics.

I have heard new tubs tend to get extra heavy use and tend to need early draining.

Do you have anything to document the oil secreting issue?

It's called Chas' Law. My documentation is from pros and new users that post on this and other sites. And also my own personal experience with my tub when it was new. My water lasts MUCH longer now than when the tub was new, and we use the tub more now.

Then, I'll repeat. New tub = heavy use. New tub = new user learning. New tub does not = oils being released from plastics.

I'll repeat! My new tub's water lasted one month, with much less use than today (My tub is used twice as much now than the first month). I maintained my water exactly the same as I do today (as a matter of fact, I use less Chlorine today than I did back then). SOMETHING was different with my new tub's water than after the first water change. If you're trying to convince me, or anyone else different, it isn't going to happen.

If you don't believe new tubs secrete oils (or something), just say so. I'll let others debate you. But from my personal experience, and many other users on this and other boards, it's a fact. Unless of course you have another explanation, other than a newbe using the tub too much. Which doesn't fly, because I've helped new tub owners in person, with the same results. And I'm no longer a newbe.

Then, I'll repeat. New tub = heavy use. New tub = new user learning. New tub does not = oils being released from plastics.

I'll repeat! My new tub's water lasted one month, with much less use than today (My tub is used twice as much now than the first month). I maintained my water exactly the same as I do today (as a matter of fact, I use less Chlorine today than I did back then). SOMETHING was different with my new tub's water than after the first water change. If you're trying to convince me, or anyone else different, it isn't going to happen.

If you don't believe new tubs secrete oils (or something), just say so. I'll let others debate you. But from my personal experience, and many other users on this and other boards, it's a fact. Unless of course you have another explanation, other than a newbe using the tub too much. Which doesn't fly, because I've helped new tub owners in person, with the same results. And I'm no longer a newbe.

As I stated in my PM to you a major factor could be bacteria from water from factory from wet testing from shipping in summer. Spa is made in CA in summer. Wet tested. Partially drained. Stored in hot sun. Shipped in enclosed van. Stored in hot warehouse. Delivered to customer. Set up. filled. High chlorine demand.

Your solution of multiple shocking makes perfect sense.

As I stated in my PM to you a major factor could be bacteria from water from factory from wet testing from shipping in summer. Spa is made in CA in summer. Wet tested. Partially drained. Stored in hot sun. Shipped in enclosed van. Stored in hot warehouse. Delivered to customer. Set up. filled. High chlorine demand.

Your solution of multiple shocking makes perfect sense.

An easy way to settle this is to buy new filters, when you put them in watch the surface of the tub. You can see oils nearly instantly on the surface of your water. I have done this twice now and each time I put the brand new filters in I notice it. When plastics are formed they typically need some type of release agent on the molds....and I think much of this is what we are seeing.

Dan, the main point is regardless of what causes this phenomenon, we all agree on the easist solution, just change the water.

Bart, you bring up something interesting. I wonder if it would be a good idea to soak new filters in a bucket of chlorinated water before using them in the tub. It might cut down on some water issues.

Dan, the main point is regardless of what causes this phenomenon, we all agree on the easist solution, just change the water.

Bart, you bring up something interesting. I wonder if it would be a good idea to soak new filters in a bucket of chlorinated water before using them in the tub. It might cut down on some water issues.

I started using a mild TSP rinse to get the mold release off new filters. Nothing serious, just a quick dip. That mold release can be tough stuff....it's designed to be used at super high temps and not wash or rub off.