Hayward Superll Pump

Hokus

Can my 1hp hayward pump loose rpm power as it gets older? I think if a electric device is going to fail it would just stop or make a lot of noise. I just don't won't to buy a new pump if i don't need to yet. I am having a lot of noise in my backwash valve that i can not figure out and the pump is my last item to troubleshoot. I have allready took it apart and inspected it and everything looks normal

If you're wondering if dying pump is causing your B/W valve to chatter, I don't think so. What kind of a B/W valve is it? Just guessing because i don't know what kind of valve you have, I think if anything your'e valve may be worn to the point where it does not fit or seat completely and water is getting by and that's where you are getting the chatter from. When i get chattering check valves, reducing the flow stops the chatter more often than not.

If you're wondering if dying pump is causing your B/W valve to chatter, I don't think so. What kind of a B/W valve is it? Just guessing because i don't know what kind of valve you have, I think if anything your'e valve may be worn to the point where it does not fit or seat completely and water is getting by and that's where you are getting the chatter from. When i get chattering check valves, reducing the flow stops the chatter more often than not.

My backwash valve is hayward model 710 and is new. I just replaced everything new above ground except the filter (hayward sand filter) and pump. Pressure tested the suction lines also. Pool is around 12yrs old.

Can the pump suck air from the shaft seal? The seal looked fine and is not leaking. Can't really see any air returning to the pool. The pressure gage needle is vibrating whitch i don't ever recall doing that is why i am asking about the pump?

Is it possible the chatter is coming from another component that is near the B/W valve? Ortega check valves can chatter. If you have solar, it is possible you have a check valve near the outlet of the filter.

Normally a shaft seal will leak water out, as opposed to pulling air in, but i have seen it (very rare) happen.

Just a thought, If you had an obstruction of some kind in the suction side of the pump, that would reduce your flow rate and perhaps cause this chatter as you first thought. open the air bleed on the filter and see if you have any air in the tank, Close it and see if the gauge settles down.

As Pool Clown mentioned, there could be an obstruction in the suction causing the problem. Does the pump seem to be straining? If the vacuum pressure gets low enough, then the pump will begin to cavitate.

Cavitation will cause chatter and vibration. Cavitation is caused when the suction is too strong and the water becomes a gas. When the gas bubbles go past the impeller, they collapse and the implosions cause shock waves.

No bubbles will come out of the returns, because the bubbles convert back into liquid as they go from low pressure to high pressure.

As Pool Clown mentioned, there could be an obstruction in the suction causing the problem. Does the pump seem to be straining? If the vacuum pressure gets low enough, then the pump will begin to cavitate.

Cavitation will cause chatter and vibration. Cavitation is caused when the suction is too strong and the water becomes a gas. When the gas bubbles go past the impeller, they collapse and the implosions cause shock waves.

No bubbles will come out of the returns, because the bubbles convert back into liquid as they go from low pressure to high pressure.

I can see really small bubbles through the basket lid. I don't have a clue where the air would be coming from since i checked and rechecked everything. I have 3- 3 way jandy diverter valves on the pool. One controls the main drain the second one controlls the skimmer and cleaner line and the other valve diverts either to side returns or pool steps. If i set the return to half pool and half steps the noise gets loud. If i divert all to steps it's gone. If i divert all to side returns i can still here it but it is not as loud. All the noise is coming from the opening inside of the backwash valve where it returns back to pool. I know this by using a screw driver as a stethascope. (You know you put the handle end to your ear and other end to the suspected part}

There is a ring that goes between the impeller and diffuser. Can you tell me what purpose it serves? Mine is loose and doesn't seem to stay in place on the diffuser. Is it supposed to be loose?

I can see really small bubbles through the basket lid.

Can you turn off the pump as you are looking at the pump lid? If so, does the air you see though the lid instantly disappear when you turn the pump off? If so, your pump is cavitating. Look for some kind of restriction in the suction line, i.e. blockage, valve partially closed, etc.

Ok i think i found my noise problem. When i put my finger on one of the return jets to close it off the air cracking noise in my backwash valve quits witch tells me my pump is pushing more water than it is pulling. My question is - If i go with a 1.5 hp motor instead of 1hp would that help since it would be pulling more water? I know it kinda sounds like a stupid question since it would be pushing more water also.

All my plumbing is 1.5 pvc and pump is located about 4ft above pool level and about 40ft away. It has 2 return jets and 2 return jets in the steps, 1 drain, 1 skimmer and 1 side suction line for a cleaner. I normally have the main and skimmer on and side returns and step returns half and half. Pool is 18x36 9ft deep.

What options if any do i have?

Not trying to be difficult but, Your first post said a chatter, Then this latest post you say cracking. I don't suppose you can post a video (with sound) so we can hear this noise? It sure would help us, to help you. If this system once worked without this noise, then you should be able to correct it without having to go to the extreme of purchasing a new pump.